Athletes of the Week: Sewickley Academy's J.P. Bowell, Mt. Lebanon's Caroline Grattan
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Sewickley Academy
Claim to fame: Bowell scored an insurance goal for the Panthers in their 2-0 win over Riverside in the PIAA Class A quarterfinals on Nov. 10. Bowell, who has 25 goals this season, added a pair of goals in a 3-0 win over Serra Catholic in a WPIAL consolation game on Nov. 3 and had one goal in a 2-1 win over Mercer in the PIAA first round on Nov. 6.
Is this your most season complete season?
Absolutely. My first two seasons were OK, but this season I really stepped it up.
What have you done differently to improve?
I think it was probably experience. In the past, we've had good players. I just wanted to watch them and learn from them. I just wanted to apply that this year.
You're also point guard on the basketball team. Is the transition difficult?
I wish I could take some time off. Considering I enjoy both sports, I don't mind it. It's tough physically, but I really don't mind switching too quickly.
How good is the basketball team going to be this year?
I think we'll be pretty solid. Last year we lost in the second round of the WPIALs and the first round of the state playoffs. We had a good run. I think we can be pretty decent this year.
School: Mt. Lebanon
Claim to fame: Grattan was a major contributor for the Blue Devils in their WPIAL championship season. Grattan had 23 kills and 23 digs in the Blue Devils' 3-1 win over Fox Chapel in the Class AAA finals and was dominant in their victory over District 9 champion DuBois in the PIAA Class AAA first round on Nov. 6. The Blue Devils' season came to an end after dropping a 3-0 match against Hempfield (District 3), 3-0, on Nov. 10.
What have you done to steadily improve since your freshman season?
I think that playing club volleyball has been a big help for me and just practicing out of season and paying attention at tournaments and working out over the summer. I just try to commit myself to each season.
Have you decided where you're going to college?
I committed to Temple University at the beginning of the summer. They are a D-I, so I'm on a full athletic scholarship my sophomore through my senior year.
What moments stand out when you reflect on your high school career?
It's been a pretty long career. Sophomore year starting in my first game as a major player was one of the biggest moments for me. It was a defining moment for me.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Warning about cop-killer came moments too late
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault at Pine youth treatment center
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Energy sector adjusts to global oil plummet
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Kids treated to gifts, peaceful holiday party at Lincoln-Lemington church