Talley lauded for his WPIAL playoff performance in Class AAA
Did you know that:
• Zach Talley's performance for Thomas Jefferson in the first round of the Class AAA football playoffs was lauded as one of the Top 10 in Week 10 in the WPIAL by MSA Sports Network?
Talley, a 5-foot-10, 155-pound junior wide receiver/defensive back who sat out last week's playoff game with an injury, scored on a 70-yard kickoff return and a 61-yard punt return against Hollidaysburg.
Those were the first two touchdowns of Talley's varsity career.
• Seton-La Salle fell to Washington, 33-17, in the quarterfinal round of the WPIAL Class AA football playoffs?
The Little Prexies improved to 11-0 on the year, while the Rebels, who had jumped out to a 14-0 first-quarter lead, ended up 9-2 overall.
“They made some plays, and at the times we needed to make a play, we didn't,” Greg Perry, Seton-La Salle's head coach, said. “They didn't do anything we didn't think they weren't going to do; they controlled the ball.”
• Clairton's Tyler Boyd ran for 525 yards and scored eight touchdowns in the Bears' two games versus Brentwood this season?
Clairton shut out the Spartans, 39-0, in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals behind Boyd's 288 yards rushing and five scores.
“I coached against Terrelle Pryor a few years ago,” Kevin Kissel, Brentwood's head coach, said. “I believe Tyler Boyd is a better high school football player than Terrelle Pryor was ... we could have had 17 players on the field, and we weren't going to tackle Tyler Boyd. I have never seen anyone like him.”
• Brentwood junior Justin Vickless finished one yard ahead of Boyd (1,317-1,316) in rushing during the regular season?
• Seton-La Salle senior Nick Sywyj intercepted two passes and scored on a 52-yard touchdown run against Greensburg Central Catholic in the WPIAL Class AA first round?
• Thomas Jefferson's football team trailed at halftime for the first time all season versus Franklin Regional last week?
The Panthers held a 7-3 halftime lead.
“We were fine (at halftime). We went through our normal routine. We talked, and made some adjustments,” Bill Cherpak, Thomas Jefferson's head coach, said.
“We should of had 21 points at halftime. Everybody felt we left points out there, and we didn't capitalize. ”
• The WPIAL Class AAA final four consists of two Big Nine Conference members — Thomas Jefferson and West Mifflin — and two Parkway Conference members — West Allegheny and Central Valley?
• Baldwin graduate Alyssa Thorne was named third-team all-conference as a 5-foot-7 junior outside hitter on the Emerson College women's volleyball team?
Emerson won the Great Northeast Athletic Conference championship by sweeping No. 1-ranked Rivier, 25-23, 25-19, 26-24, as Thorne led the squad in kills.
The Lady Lions advanced to the NCAA tournament, where they fell to Bowdoin, 3-0, despite Thorne's 14 kills and a .462 attack percentage.
• Seton-La Salle quarterback Luke Brumbaugh, a senior, passed for 1,795 yards and 17 touchdowns this season?
Brumbaugh also threw for 1,484 yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior, and finished his high school career with 3,451 yards and 34 touchdowns in the passing department.
• The early season point leaders for the Baldwin varsity hockey team are Dakota Becker, Brian Dee and Kaleb Reckley?
Baldwin was 1-1 in the PIHL open division at the start of this week's action
• Thomas Jefferson junior linebacker Chase Winovich is the younger brother of former TJ quarterback/linebacker standout Pete Winovich?
Pete was a three-year varsity starter for the Jaguars from 2001 to 2003, and an all-conference selection. He later played collegiately at Bowling Green.
• The early season point leaders for the Thomas Jefferson varsity hockey team are Matthew Bowers, Tommy Kimmick and Zach Uhlyar?
Thomas Jefferson was 1-1 in the PIHL Class A ranks prior to this week's action.
• Brentwood finished with less than 150 yards in total offense against undefeated Clairton last week?
“If you can't run the ball and you have to throw, you might as well forget it because they have three Division I defensive backs back there (in the secondary),” Kissel said.
• Evon Danscak, a senior kicking specialist and a midfielder on the TJ boys' soccer team, booted his first field goal of the season last week against Franklin Regional?
Danscak's 24-yard field goal provided the Jaguars with their final three-point winning margin.
• Brendan Crousey of Jefferson Hills is a member of the North Pittsburgh Wildcats Pee Wee AA youth hockey team?
Crousey is a defenseman.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.