SSA field hockey falls in state playoffs
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012
The Shady Side Academy field hockey team saw its season come to a close on Nov. 6 as the Indians fell to Forbes Road, 2-1, in overtime.
The Indians ended the season with an 11-4-1 record.
“We played a strong first half and a very strong overtime,” SSA coach Erin Weir said. “We had several opportunities to score, especially during overtime, but we couldn't get the ball in the cage.
“It was heartbreaking to be so close. The other team scored with 30 seconds left in the second half to tie it up and then scored with one minute left in overtime.
“The girls worked hard and had a great season. I'm proud of everyone who stepped up to fill the shoes of those seniors who left.”
The Indians, who lost six seniors after the 2012 season will lose six again this year — Audrey Koi, Micky Saperstein, Sydney Mordoh, Carianne Lee, Isabel Aiken and Cristina Bartolacci.
“Those seniors have been a part of some great times and big wins,” Weir said. “They will be hard to replace but we've shown that we can do it.
“Next year's team will again have some big shoes to fill.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- RAISING THE BAR
- Web giants likely to battle for music fans’ attention
- Brown’s ‘Inferno’ puts Langdon through his paces
- Donora physician, wife were victims of disaster
- Idaho spud giant bets on biotech potatoes
- Americans fail to find jobs as firms hire foreigners
- Vandergrift dance studio adds faith to fundamentals
- Uniontown teacher makes the grade
- Campaign makes push for organ donations
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.