SSA field hockey falls in state playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy field hockey team saw its season come to a close on Nov. 6 as the Indians fell to Forbes Road, 2-1, in overtime.
The Indians ended the season with an 11-4-1 record.
“We played a strong first half and a very strong overtime,” SSA coach Erin Weir said. “We had several opportunities to score, especially during overtime, but we couldn't get the ball in the cage.
“It was heartbreaking to be so close. The other team scored with 30 seconds left in the second half to tie it up and then scored with one minute left in overtime.
“The girls worked hard and had a great season. I'm proud of everyone who stepped up to fill the shoes of those seniors who left.”
The Indians, who lost six seniors after the 2012 season will lose six again this year — Audrey Koi, Micky Saperstein, Sydney Mordoh, Carianne Lee, Isabel Aiken and Cristina Bartolacci.
“Those seniors have been a part of some great times and big wins,” Weir said. “They will be hard to replace but we've shown that we can do it.
“Next year's team will again have some big shoes to fill.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Port Authority police discuss bus crash with county prosecutors
- September ranks with driest ever in Western Pa.
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- 35,000 walrus come ashore in northwest Alaska
- Melocchi pleads guilty in leading McKeesport gambling ring
- Pets rescued from Westmoreland house fire
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Threat leads to evacuation of Sandy Hook school