SSA field hockey falls in state playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy field hockey team saw its season come to a close on Nov. 6 as the Indians fell to Forbes Road, 2-1, in overtime.
The Indians ended the season with an 11-4-1 record.
“We played a strong first half and a very strong overtime,” SSA coach Erin Weir said. “We had several opportunities to score, especially during overtime, but we couldn't get the ball in the cage.
“It was heartbreaking to be so close. The other team scored with 30 seconds left in the second half to tie it up and then scored with one minute left in overtime.
“The girls worked hard and had a great season. I'm proud of everyone who stepped up to fill the shoes of those seniors who left.”
The Indians, who lost six seniors after the 2012 season will lose six again this year — Audrey Koi, Micky Saperstein, Sydney Mordoh, Carianne Lee, Isabel Aiken and Cristina Bartolacci.
“Those seniors have been a part of some great times and big wins,” Weir said. “They will be hard to replace but we've shown that we can do it.
“Next year's team will again have some big shoes to fill.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- Small retailers at intersection of social networks, foot traffic
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough