High school roundup: Freeport records shutout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport and South Park remained even on the scoreboard through one period Thursday night at the Ice Castle in Castle Shannon.
Then the Yellowjackets turned to their odd-man specialists and surged ahead.
With three power-play goals and a short-handed tally, Freeport (3-1-1) pulled away from South Park (3-4) in the final two periods of the PIHL Class A contest to win, 5-0.
Michael Frazetta broke the tie with a power-play goal less than two minutes into the second period. Nicholas Zidek and Brendon Zack also had man-advantage goals. Greg Newman added a short-handed goal. Hunter Kepple scored Freeport's only even-strength goal and also had two assists.
Matt Huston earned the shutout with 24 saves, while South Park's Shane Walker made 39 stops.
Ford City 12, Ringgold 0 — At the Belmont Complex, the Sabers (5-1-1) dismantled Open Class foe Ringgold (1-6) for the second time in four days, again posting a shutout and scoring double-digit goals.
In two games, Ford City scored 32 goals and outshot Ringgold, 98-17.
John Phelps led the offense this time with a hat trick, and Marcus McCall and Jesse Valasek scored two goals apiece. Joe Cippel, Eli Thompson and Robert Kinsey each had a goal and two assists.
Chance McClain earned the shutout, while Ben Cafeo made 34 saves for Ringgold.
Kittanning 11, Greensburg Central Catholic 1 — Hunter Grafton scored four times in the first period, and Kittanning (4-2-1) held Greensburg Central Catholic (0-8) to 14 shots during the Class A blowout at the Belmont Complex. Christian Miller finished with a team-high five points (2 goals, 3 assists), while Eli Johns (1, 2) and Zane Wichowski (2, 1) each registered three points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- NFL notebook: Browns GM suspended, team fined for ‘Text-gate’
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Body pulled from river in Charleroi
- Pittsburgh man’s bid to delay trial rejected
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Man shot in Hill District
- Supreme Court allows Obamacare’s Medicare costs board to stand
- Penguins’ Letang leaves hospital, out with concussion
- Falling bricks close 2 Squirrel Hill businesses