High school roundup: Freeport records shutout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport and South Park remained even on the scoreboard through one period Thursday night at the Ice Castle in Castle Shannon.
Then the Yellowjackets turned to their odd-man specialists and surged ahead.
With three power-play goals and a short-handed tally, Freeport (3-1-1) pulled away from South Park (3-4) in the final two periods of the PIHL Class A contest to win, 5-0.
Michael Frazetta broke the tie with a power-play goal less than two minutes into the second period. Nicholas Zidek and Brendon Zack also had man-advantage goals. Greg Newman added a short-handed goal. Hunter Kepple scored Freeport's only even-strength goal and also had two assists.
Matt Huston earned the shutout with 24 saves, while South Park's Shane Walker made 39 stops.
Ford City 12, Ringgold 0 — At the Belmont Complex, the Sabers (5-1-1) dismantled Open Class foe Ringgold (1-6) for the second time in four days, again posting a shutout and scoring double-digit goals.
In two games, Ford City scored 32 goals and outshot Ringgold, 98-17.
John Phelps led the offense this time with a hat trick, and Marcus McCall and Jesse Valasek scored two goals apiece. Joe Cippel, Eli Thompson and Robert Kinsey each had a goal and two assists.
Chance McClain earned the shutout, while Ben Cafeo made 34 saves for Ringgold.
Kittanning 11, Greensburg Central Catholic 1 — Hunter Grafton scored four times in the first period, and Kittanning (4-2-1) held Greensburg Central Catholic (0-8) to 14 shots during the Class A blowout at the Belmont Complex. Christian Miller finished with a team-high five points (2 goals, 3 assists), while Eli Johns (1, 2) and Zane Wichowski (2, 1) each registered three points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Takei to host Pittsburgh Pops ‘Sci-Fi’ concerts
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Western PA Wildcatz semipro football team chasing national title
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- 30 cited for trespassing at union rally
- Duquense teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Man to serve prison sentence for rock attack
- Shooting in Northview Heights leaves one man dead, another injured
- Former IU4 director enters guilty plea to stealing from agency
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes