Local roundup: Mt. Pleasant boys edge Laurel Highlands in section matchup
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Malara scored a game-high 19 points as Mt. Pleasant (2-3, 1-0) earned a 60-53 victory over Laurel Highlands (3-3, 1-1) in Section 3-AAA play.
Ryan Gumbita added 14 points for the Vikings. Shane Guthery led Laurel Highlands with 15 points.
California 72, Frazier 29 — Tanner Huffman's game-high 27 points led the way as California (4-0, 2-0) earned a Section 5-AA victory. Brian Fisher and Austin Wingo scored 16 points and 10 points, respectively, for the Trojans. Paul Pellick had eight points for Frazier (1-4, 0-2).
Derry 72, Southmoreland 42 — Andy Panizzi scored a game-high 15 points as Derry (3-3, 1-2) won in Section 3-AAA action. Nick Clayton and Lucas Maloy scored 13 points and 10 points, respectively, for the Trojans. Jake Porter and Zac Black had 12 and 11 points for Southmoreland (0-6, 0-3).
St. Joseph 71, Geibel 49 — John Arcuri scored a game-high 21 points, including four 3-pointers as St. Joseph cruised in nonsection play. Nick Chepkevich added 10 points for St. Joseph (3-2). Aaron Agostoni scored 15 points for Geibel (0-3).
Connellsville 105, Uniontown 50 — The Falcons won nine events to lock up a nonsection victory. Collin Mastowski won the 200 freestyle (1:57.14) and 100 freestyle (54.05), Travis Patterson won the 100 fly (1:01.80) and 500 freestyle (5:56.89) and Shane Beneke took first in the 200 IM (2:22.07) and 100 breaststroke (1:10.39).
Jimmy Manges also won the 100 backstroke (1:20.02), and the 200 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay finished first.
Uniontown 93, Connellsville 91 — Diver Kait Nedrow (188.45), Bayle Shreve in the 100 backstroke (1:05.45) and Rachel Barczyk in the 200 freestyle (2:02.26) and 500 freestyle (5:27.77) all qualified for the WPIAL meet with first-place finishes, but Connellsville fell in a nonsection meet.
The 200 freestyle relay and 400 freestyle relay teams also finished first for the Falcons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- Police charge Beaver County sex offender who snuck into Pittsburgh science center
- Just for Giggles, FBI tags along, finds more than sports paraphernalia at Pittsburgh store
- Whistleblower claims Allegheny County’s human services director violated 2003 lawsuit settlement
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Police say teen driver was drinking in Butler ATV crash that killed passenger
- Shale drilling boom a bust for some Western Pennsylvania towns
- Sales, income taxes increases expected in Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget