Local roundup: Deer Lakes guard erupts for 45 points, breaks school scoring mark
By Staff Reports
Published: Friday, Dec. 14, 2012, 1:01 a.m.
The real meteor shower happened in the Deer Lakes gym Thursday night.
Deer Lakes senior guard Tim Jaczesko had a game Lancer fans will be talking about for a long time.
He scored 45 points to break the school record by one and hit seven 3-pointers — all in three quarters — as Deer Lakes rolled over Aquinas Academy, 80-43, in a non-section boys basketball game in West Deer.
The old record of 44 points was set in 1991 by Doug Mannka against Apollo-Ridge.
Jaczesko also grabbed 10 rebounds, dished five assists and added five steals for the Lancers (2-2).
J.J. Kowalkowski chipped in 10 points for the Lancers.
Knoch 61, Freeport 42 — Austin Miller led a trio of Knoch scorers in double figures with 17 points as the Knights opened Section 1-AAA play with a victory over Freeport.
Dakota Bruggeman scored 14 points, and Matt Zanella added 11 for Knoch (2-2, 1-0). Brendan Lynch led Freeport (1-3, 0-1) with 15 points.
Freeport 64, Knoch 39 — Jess Aulicino scored a game-high 28 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Section 1-AAA opener for Freeport.
Michaela Bowser scored 14, and Macy Smolic had 10 for the Yellowjackets (2-2, 1-0).
Sam Logan led Knoch (0-4, 0-1) with 16 points and Angela Cress added nine.
Burrell 61, Springdale 25 — The Bucs (3-0) stayed perfect behind Jessica Cercone's team-high 16 points. Sydney Bordonero and Jaila Manga each added 13 points for Burrell, and Natalie Myers pulled down 10 rebounds.
Maddie Glamp led the Dynamos (2-2) with 10 points.
Ford City 42, West Shamokin 29 — Allyson Cujas scored 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, and Catlyn Cujas had eight points and six steals for Ford City (2-2, 1-0) in the Section 1-AA opener for both teams.
Jill Glover scored 18 points for West Shamokin (0-4, 0-1).
Apollo-Ridge 67, Leechburg 16 — Ashley Emminger had a game-high 25 points for Apollo-Ridge in Section 1-AA play. Megan Bonelli scored 16 for the Vikings (4-1, 1-1). Beth Mort led Leechburg (0-5, 0-2) with 10.
Valley game postponed —Because of a shortage of players, Valley postponed its Section 1-AAA opener against Mars. The game does not have a make-up date.
Freeport 10, South Fayette 5 — Stone Haberstroh recorded a hat trick, and Brendon Zack added two goals as Freeport defeated South Fayette in Class A action. Hunter Kepple and Greg Newman added one goal each for Freeport (5-1-1).
Kiski Area 41, Norwin 18 — Mitchell Nagy (113 pounds), Cole Landowski (145), Kyle Skelly (152), Matt McCutcheon (195) and Shane Kuhn (285) all recorded pins as Kiski Area (2-0) won a Section 1-AAA match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Fleury’s future at stake
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- Five years later, Crosby wants another Cup win
- Penguins’ Malkin expects to play in Game 1
- Pitt wraps up spring football practice with closeness, competition
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
- Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette boy for recording bullies
- Obama, Biden to announce $500M for job training grants during W.Pa. visit