Local roundup: Deer Lakes guard erupts for 45 points, breaks school scoring mark
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The real meteor shower happened in the Deer Lakes gym Thursday night.
Deer Lakes senior guard Tim Jaczesko had a game Lancer fans will be talking about for a long time.
He scored 45 points to break the school record by one and hit seven 3-pointers — all in three quarters — as Deer Lakes rolled over Aquinas Academy, 80-43, in a non-section boys basketball game in West Deer.
The old record of 44 points was set in 1991 by Doug Mannka against Apollo-Ridge.
Jaczesko also grabbed 10 rebounds, dished five assists and added five steals for the Lancers (2-2).
J.J. Kowalkowski chipped in 10 points for the Lancers.
Knoch 61, Freeport 42 — Austin Miller led a trio of Knoch scorers in double figures with 17 points as the Knights opened Section 1-AAA play with a victory over Freeport.
Dakota Bruggeman scored 14 points, and Matt Zanella added 11 for Knoch (2-2, 1-0). Brendan Lynch led Freeport (1-3, 0-1) with 15 points.
Freeport 64, Knoch 39 — Jess Aulicino scored a game-high 28 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Section 1-AAA opener for Freeport.
Michaela Bowser scored 14, and Macy Smolic had 10 for the Yellowjackets (2-2, 1-0).
Sam Logan led Knoch (0-4, 0-1) with 16 points and Angela Cress added nine.
Burrell 61, Springdale 25 — The Bucs (3-0) stayed perfect behind Jessica Cercone's team-high 16 points. Sydney Bordonero and Jaila Manga each added 13 points for Burrell, and Natalie Myers pulled down 10 rebounds.
Maddie Glamp led the Dynamos (2-2) with 10 points.
Ford City 42, West Shamokin 29 — Allyson Cujas scored 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, and Catlyn Cujas had eight points and six steals for Ford City (2-2, 1-0) in the Section 1-AA opener for both teams.
Jill Glover scored 18 points for West Shamokin (0-4, 0-1).
Apollo-Ridge 67, Leechburg 16 — Ashley Emminger had a game-high 25 points for Apollo-Ridge in Section 1-AA play. Megan Bonelli scored 16 for the Vikings (4-1, 1-1). Beth Mort led Leechburg (0-5, 0-2) with 10.
Valley game postponed —Because of a shortage of players, Valley postponed its Section 1-AAA opener against Mars. The game does not have a make-up date.
Freeport 10, South Fayette 5 — Stone Haberstroh recorded a hat trick, and Brendon Zack added two goals as Freeport defeated South Fayette in Class A action. Hunter Kepple and Greg Newman added one goal each for Freeport (5-1-1).
Kiski Area 41, Norwin 18 — Mitchell Nagy (113 pounds), Cole Landowski (145), Kyle Skelly (152), Matt McCutcheon (195) and Shane Kuhn (285) all recorded pins as Kiski Area (2-0) won a Section 1-AAA match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Family collecting donations for Salem man seriously injured in deer stand fall