High school roundup: Mt. Pleasant boys top Belle Vernon
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Malara led all scorers with 16 points, and Luke Liprando followed with 12 points as Mt. Pleasant (3-3) posted a nonsection win over visiting Belle Vernon, 69-40, on Wednesday.
Jake Sweitzer paced the Leopards (1-4) with 12 points.
Beth-Center 54, Geibel 37 — Anna Bartman scored 26 points in a nonsection win for the Bulldogs (2-4).
Brownsville 30, Southmoreland 16 — Marissa Boatright tallied 12 points in a nonsection victory for the Falcons (2-3).
Yough 40, Mt. Pleasant 28 — Austin Mears got a third-period pin in the 145-pound weight class, but the Vikings (5-2, 1-1) dropped a Section 2-AA (B) decision to host Yough (9-0, 2-0).
Andy Yoder (138) won on a major decision. Ethan Charlesworth (152), Bobby Long (160), Justin Overly (182) and Eli Holt (195) picked up wins via decisions.
Mike Novak (126) won by forfeit.
Derry 63, Southmoreland 12 — Tyler Lynch (106) scored a first-period pin, and Jake Beistel (heavyweight) won by forfeit, but the Scotties (0-2, 0-2) fell to visiting Derry (2-0, 2-0) in Section 2-AA (B).
Mt. Pleasant vs. Laurel Highlands — Kyra Lasko earned a WPIAL-qualifying time in the 100 butterfly to help the Mt. Pleasant girls swim team earn an 89-76 win over visiting Laurel Highlands in a nonsection meet.
Laurel Highlands won the boys race, 83-77.
Boys freshmen basketball
Albert Gallatin 37, Connellsville 34 — Jim Cellurale scored 14 points, but the Falcons lost to visiting Albert Gallatin.
Caleb Miller and Colby Shipley each scored seven points.
Hempfield 55, Connellsville 28 — Jim Cellurale and Colby Shipley each scored eight points, but the Falcons lost to host Hempfield.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- NFL notebook: Broncos owner Bowlen has Alzheimer’s, steps down
- Late afternoon fire destroys Manor home
- S&P 500 reaches new heights
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- VA settles three more Legionnaires’ cases
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike
- Philly Nazi suspect dies as extradition request OK’d
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Penguins assistant Martin gets new job title