High school roundup: Connellsville swimmers top Trinity
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Shane Beneke, Travis Patterson, Jimmy Manges and Collin Mastowski took first place in the 200 freestyle relay (1:43.56) to help the Connellsville boys swim team defeat host Trinity, 82-73, in a nonsection meet Thursday. Mastowski finished first in the 100 butterfly (1:00.55), and Manges took the top spot in the 50 freestyle (26.25). Beneke was first in the 200 freestyle (2:05.08).
In the girls race, Sierra Emert, Lauren Urie, Rachel Barczyk and Laura Baker placed first in the 200 medley relay as the Falcons scored a 105-64 win over the Hillers. Alyson Urie, Leah Lilley, Emert and Barczyk were first in the 200 freestyle relay (1:52.27). Bayle Shreve, Alyson Urie, Emert and Lilley were the top swimmers in the 400 freestyle relay (4:06.74). Lilley picked up wins in the 200 freestyle (2:23.34) and the 100 freestyle (1:01.51). Alyson Urie was the winner in the 50 freestyle (26.96) and the 500 freestyle (5:42.42). Lauren Urie was the first-place finisher in the 100 breaststroke (1:26.19), and Barczyk took the top spot in the 100 butterfly (1:06.46).
Mt. Pleasant 44, Derry 20 — Alexa Szelong led all scorers with 12 points as the Vikings (3-3, 1-1) notched a Section 3-AAA win over visiting Derry.
Courtnay Meyer led the Trojans (2-4, 1-2) with 11 points.
Norwin 53, Connellsville 33 — Maria Merendino scored a game-high 21 points to lead the Falcons (1-5, 0-3), but Connellsville dropped a Section 1-AAAA game to host Norwin.
Nikki Ingle paced the Knights (3-4, 2-1) with 13 points.
Altoona 13, Frazier 3 — Adam Badorrek had four goals and three assists, and Tom Keating notched three goals and an assist to lead Altoona (3-5) to a PIHL Open Division victory over visiting Frazier. Kody Blevins posted two goals and two assists. Catcher Cumming made 22 saves in goal to get the win.
Nicholas Farrell, Brian Gregg and Benjamin Mollard each had a goal and an assist for the Commodores (2-8). Nate Bertok and Tyler Ulm each recorded an assist. Noah Santo made 32 saves in goal.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- Pitt’s obscure opener still matters
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Gas drilling company withdraws application for forced pooling in Western Pennsylvania
- DEP releases details of cases of drinking well contamination from drilling
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley