Local roundup: Burrell boys cruise past St. Joseph
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell's balanced offense overwhelmed host St. Joseph in a nonsection game Wednesday night.
Four players finished with double-digit point totals for the Class AA Bucs (5-1), who set a season-high scoring mark in their 72-49 win over the Class A Spartans (3-3).
Cole Bush led Burrell with 18 points, Alex White added 13, and Matt Hess and Pete Spagnolo each had 11.
John Arcuri fueled the St. Joseph offense with a 24-point performance that included a 9-of-10 showing at the foul line.
Deer Lakes 50, Winchester Thurston 19 — The Lancers (4-2) held Winchester Thurston (1-3) to just five points in the first half of the nonsection contest.
Tim Jaczesko scored a game-high 19 points, and J.J. Kowalkowski contributed 13 for Deer Lakes, which had nine players score. Kowalkowski also had 10 rebounds and five steals.
West Shamokin 58, Highlands 50 (OT) — Highlands (0-7) rallied from a 10-point halftime deficit to force overtime but fell short in the extra period during a nonsection home game. Kaison Branch scored a team-high 19 points for the Golden Rams.
Anthony Rocco led West Shamokin (3-3) with 23 points.
Plum 37, Fox Chapel 21 — Thomas Zumino's 10-7 win over Darrius Booker in the 126-pound weight class started a critical run for Plum (1-1, 1-1), which claimed five of the final six bouts in the Section 3(B)-AAA match. Mike Walkup followed with a pin, Eric Green earned a major decision, and Anthony Zummo and Zach Martin secured decisions.
Jared Rice, wrestling at 113 pounds, delivered Fox Chapel (3-4, 0-2) its only pin of the match, which started with the 170-pound weight class.
Pine-Richland 8, Plum 3 — Zachary Richey netted a hat trick and had four points to lead Pine-Richland (7-2) over Plum (3-5-1) in PIHL Class AA play.
Joe Randazzo scored two goals for Plum, and Andrew Walters recorded a goal and an assist. Taylor Cestra recorded 32 saves in net for the Mustangs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day