High school roundup: Burrell girls open section play with convincing victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell's girls basketball team finally opened Section 1-AA play, and the Bucs did so on a winning note.
Sydney Bordonaro scored 11 points to to head a trio of Burrell scorers in double figures in a 56-23 victory over Ford City on Thursday night.
Jessica Cercone and Natalie Myers scored 10 points apiece for Burrell (4-0, 1-0).
Mya Gladysewski scored a team-high six points for Ford City (2-4, 1-2).
West Shamokin 43, Apollo-Ridge 3 8 — A near-triple-double by Jill Glover helped West Shamokin (2-4, 2-1) hang on for a Section 1-AA home win. Glover finished with a team-high 21 points, 15 rebounds and seven steals.
Tristan Cribbs and Elle Gandolfi grabbed 18 and 12 rebounds, respectively.
Sarah Bonelli and Ashley Emminger each scored 15 points to lead Apollo-Ridge (5-2, 1-1).
Jeannette 58, Springdale 46 — Amanda Koprivnikar's 15 points were a team-high, but Springdale (3-3, 1-1) couldn't overcome Jeannette (4-1, 2-0) and WPIAL-leading scorer Ciara Gregory in a Section 3-AA loss.
Gregory had a game-high 29 points.
Springdale's Diana Killian added eight points and nine rebounds for the Dynamos in the loss.
Shady Side Academy 59, Riverview 51 — Ashley Bruni had a game-high 20 points including four 3-pointers, but it wasn't enough as Riverview (4-3, 1-2) fell to Shady Side Academy (3-4, 2-1) in Section 3-AA play.
Sadie Buchser had 15 points for the Raiders in the loss.
Kittanning 63, Valley 27 — Emily Knepshield scored a game-high 21 points, while Kirsten Wolfe and Taylor Patterson added 13 and 11, respectively, for Kittanning (5-2, 3-0) in the Section 1-AAA win.
Kaylyn Iacopino finished with 11 points for Valley (0-2, 0-2).
St. Joseph 53, Trinity Christian 24 — Mallory Heinle posted a double-double, scoring 27 points and snagging 11 rebounds as the Spartans (4-2, 2-1) picked up a Section 2-A victory.
Knoch 63, Karns City 29 — Dakota Bruggeman's team-high 16 points helped lead Knoch (3-3, 2-1) past Karns City in nonsection play.
Austin Miller and Marc Vaughn each had 14 points in the win.
Cheswick Christian Academy 65, Aquinas Academy 39 — Tyler Knupp and Andy Skledar each scored 12 points to lead the Chargers (5-2) to a nonconference win.
Knupp also pulled down 15 rebounds.
Antione Malloy and JuJuan Malloy each scored 10 for Cheswick Christian, which held Aquinas (1-5) to seven points in the third.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
- UPMC, Highmark disagree over payment of medical claims for children
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Coal truck, another hauling beer crash on Route 22
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Woman, 77, dies in Monroeville house fire
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home