Local roundup: Plum boys basketball team wins low-scoring affair
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Plum wasn't going for style points Saturday afternoon, but the Mustangs gladly will take a less-than-thrilling victory over Valley.
Make that a flat-out ugly victory.
Plum scored just 22 points in the first half, but Valley managed only five, including none in the second quarter, as Plum won the nonsection game, 37-21, in New Kensington.
Plum guard Griffin Myers was the game's only double-digit scorer, with 12 points.
With both teams struggling to find consistency on offense, Plum (3-4) outscored Valley, 6-5, in the third quarter.
Jason Carter led Valley (1-5) with nine points, including a 7 for 8 effort from the foul line.
Kiski Area 52, Butler 39 — Nick Stone's 21 points propelled Kiski Area (4-3) to a nonsection victory over Butler (2-5). Kiski Area led, 25-17, at halftime and never lost the lead. Joey Brungo chipped in 11 points for the Cavaliers.
Seth Cook tallied 11 points for Butler, and Arum Krause added 10.
Trinity Christian 43, Cheswick Christian Academy 40 — Cheswick Christian (5-3) had a short-lived 19-16 halftime lead and only managed seven points in the third quarter as it dropped a nonconference game to former SWCAC opponent Trinity Christian (2-4) at Penn State New Kensington.
John Wallace, a 6-foot-3 guard, scored 19 points to lead Trinity Christian.
Antoine Malloy led the Chargers with 11.
Springdale 48, Northgate 22 — Maddie Glamp scored 13 points, Amanda Koprivnikar added 11, and Diana Killian chipped in 10 as Springdale rolled to a nonsection win.
The Dynamos (4-3) took a 24-11 lead into halftime and held the Flames (1-6) to 11 points in the second half.
Plum 70, Valley 19 — Twelve players scored for Plum (6-2) in a nonsection win over depleted Valley (0-3). Plum led, 31-2, after the first quarter against Valley, which dressed six players but played with only four in the second half after a player left the game with an illness.
Lashay Madison scored 13 for Valley. Alexis Amato contributed 10 points for the Mustangs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Authorities investigating grocery store robberies Plum, Monroeville
- NHL notebook: Blue Jackets lose Jenner to back fracture
- N.Y. reports crime decrease, credits ‘broken windows’
- 4 Afghans freed from Guantanamo
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Penguins missing Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams; prized prospect Pouliot called up
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Teenager who attacked California Highway Patrol officer with machete shot, killed