Gators roll past WH in WPIBL action
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway junior Angela Chusko was the model of consistency last week against Woodland Hills in a Northeast section match at New Great Valley Lanes in North Versailles.
Chusko, who led the section with a 224.67 average over six games through two weeks of play, rolled a 203 in game one against the Wolverines. She then recorded a 204 and followed that up with a 205.
Her 612 series helped the Gators girls squad sweep past Woodland Hills.
Chusko who tallied one of the best series in the history of WPIBL girls by bowling with a 736 in week one against Burrell, entered week three with a 19- pin advantage over Plum senior Jocelyn Rubash (205.33).
Gateway juniors Tori Smith and Morgan Sayre held the three and four spots for section average after week two with a 190.50 and a 190.17 average, respectively.
Smith had a team-best 245 in game one en route to a 612 series, while Sayre rolled a 207 in game two and ended with a 545 series.
Also contributing to the win were senior Cassie Doege (458 series) and junior Rachael Hodes (395).
The Gateway boys continued to shake varsity inexperience, as they picked up a 5-2 win over the Wolverines. The Gators took two of the three games and total pins to join the Gateway girls at 2-0 on the season.
Freshman Bailey Diggins recorded a season- and career-high 212 in game three. That score was a team-best for the match and contributed to a 507 series.
Fellow freshman Ryan Skladany had a team-high 520 series, and that included a 211 score in the third game.
Sophomore Nick Crawford started his three-game series with a 206 and finished with a 505 total, and juniors Dylan Shumaker (three games, 362 series) and Jon McAnany (two games, 355) and senior Brandon Castleberry (one game, 101) also contributed to the 2,350 pin total.
The Gateway teams were slated to match up with Plum on Wednesday at Nesbit's Lanes in Plum. The matches were to be contested past the deadline for this week's edition.
Both Mustangs squads also entered week three undefeated with wins over Penn Hills and St. Joseph.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in North Oakland
- PennDOT says inbound Fort Pitt Tunnel will close around-the-clock this weekend
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in prescription narcotics operation
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Highmark members to keep maternity care at Magee in 2015
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Young Hempfield swimmers look to make impact at WCCA meet
- Special Olympians to take to center court at Pitt-Greensburg
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Porterfield: Donegal Christian school plans blood drive
- Greensburg Salem swimmers preparing for WPIAL meet