High school roundup: Southmoreland girls advance in tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Julea Claycomb and Brooke Cottem scored 11 and 10 points, respectively, to lead Southmoreland (1-8) to a 42-36 victory over Northgate in the Geibel Tournament on Thursday.
Tiana Morgan led Northgate (1-7) with 10 points.
The Scotties will face Geibel in the consolation game at 6 p.m. Friday.
Jefferson-Morgan 51, Geibel 31 — Allie Bogden led all scorers with 17 points to guide Jefferson-Morgan (3-4) to victory in the Geibel Christmas Tournament. Geibel (1-6) was led by Peyton McIntyre's 14 points, while Ashley Fattis added 12 points for Jefferson-Morgan.
Mt. Pleasant 40, North Hills 26 — Jordan Toohey led all scorers with 12 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (4-3) to a victory over North Hills (3-6) in the New Castle Tournament. Elaina Fearer added 11 points in the win. The Vikings will play New Castle Friday in the championship at 4:30 p.m.
Carmichaels 49, Frazier 29 — In the Laurel Highlands Tournament, Hannah Kline scored 15 points, but Frazier (3-2) fell short. The Commodores will play Connellsville at 9:15 p.m. Friday in the round-robin tournament.
Mt. Pleasant 74, Meyersdale 32 — Tyler Mellors scored 17 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (4-4) a victory over Meyersdale in the North Star Tournament. Mitch Matlas and Cody Monroe scored 15 and 12 points, respectively, for Mt. Pleasant.
Charleroi 77, Southmoreland 56 — Zac Black scored 15 points for Southmoreland (0-8), but it wasn't enough in a loss to Charleroi (4-2) in the Charleroi Holiday Classic. Charleroi's Jim Diaz led all scorers with 24 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Elizabeth Township promotes police veteran to chief
- Carnegie Mellon expert to school Congress on security
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- McKeesport Tuesday takes
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- New Kensington businessman’s discipline brought success
- Upper Burrell officials consider changing public comment rules
- Frazer police receive state funding for more undercover patrols at Mills
- Trials ordered in Charleroi stash house case