High school roundup: Southmoreland girls advance in tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Julea Claycomb and Brooke Cottem scored 11 and 10 points, respectively, to lead Southmoreland (1-8) to a 42-36 victory over Northgate in the Geibel Tournament on Thursday.
Tiana Morgan led Northgate (1-7) with 10 points.
The Scotties will face Geibel in the consolation game at 6 p.m. Friday.
Jefferson-Morgan 51, Geibel 31 — Allie Bogden led all scorers with 17 points to guide Jefferson-Morgan (3-4) to victory in the Geibel Christmas Tournament. Geibel (1-6) was led by Peyton McIntyre's 14 points, while Ashley Fattis added 12 points for Jefferson-Morgan.
Mt. Pleasant 40, North Hills 26 — Jordan Toohey led all scorers with 12 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (4-3) to a victory over North Hills (3-6) in the New Castle Tournament. Elaina Fearer added 11 points in the win. The Vikings will play New Castle Friday in the championship at 4:30 p.m.
Carmichaels 49, Frazier 29 — In the Laurel Highlands Tournament, Hannah Kline scored 15 points, but Frazier (3-2) fell short. The Commodores will play Connellsville at 9:15 p.m. Friday in the round-robin tournament.
Mt. Pleasant 74, Meyersdale 32 — Tyler Mellors scored 17 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (4-4) a victory over Meyersdale in the North Star Tournament. Mitch Matlas and Cody Monroe scored 15 and 12 points, respectively, for Mt. Pleasant.
Charleroi 77, Southmoreland 56 — Zac Black scored 15 points for Southmoreland (0-8), but it wasn't enough in a loss to Charleroi (4-2) in the Charleroi Holiday Classic. Charleroi's Jim Diaz led all scorers with 24 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Brown skipping voluntary offseason workouts
- Penguins sell out Game 3, extend streak to 376 games
- Pittsburgh Public Theater taking on Shakespeare’s ‘Othello’
- The gathering storm: An IRS defeat
- UPMC is the target of nihilistic envy
- MLB notebook: Gennett’s shower injury could put him on DL
- Deputies arrest couple, seize 45 bricks of heroin in Penn Hills
- Doctors incorporate ideas for retirement planning into new book
- Pirates notebook: Ailing Mercer sore but on mend
- U.S. Steel puts 1,400 workers on notice to curb costs
- NHL notebook: Sharks, McLellan part ways after 7 years