High school roundup: Vikings, Scotties pick up wrestling victories
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Tyler Lynch (106 pounds), Jake Virgin (120), Evan Myers (126) and Jorden Beltz (132) recorded pins to help the Southmoreland wrestling team post a 60-12 win over host Charleroi in a Section 2-AA (2B) match Wednesday.
Austin Griffiths (113), Sean Suter (152), Shane Cavanaugh (160), Brendon Coles (170), Dakota Datz (182) and Jake Beistel (heavyweight) each won by forfeit for the Scotties.
Mt. Pleasant 49, Derry 21— Mike Novak (126), Andy Yoder (138), Austin Mears (145) and Eli Holt (195) each won by fall as the Vikings (6-2, 2-1) won in a Section 2-AA (2B) match.
Ethan Charlesworth (152) and Justin Overly (182) were winners via technical fall.
Aldo Garcia (132), Bobby Long (160) and Austin Piper (170) each earned a decision, and Josh Lind (220) was awarded a forfeit victory.
Eden Christian Academy 62, Geibel 40 — Aaron Agostoni scored 15 points, and Tyler Schweiss added 12 points, but the Gators (0-5) lost to the visiting Warriors (8-1) in a nonsection game.
Connellsville 40, Laurel Highlands 35 — Corey Fogle scored 12 points, and Jim Cellurale added 11 to lead the Falcons (3-4). Duston Wiggins scored nine points, and Colby Shipley chipped in eight.
Hempfield 47, Connellsville 29 — Jim Cellurale scored 10 points, and Duston Wiggins scored six points, but the Falcons lost at the Laurel Highlands Tournament.
Connellsville 56, Charleroi 31— Colby Shipley scored 15 points, and Caleb Miller added 10 to lead the Falcons. Tyler Evans tallied seven points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates claim Ishikawa off waivers; Marte injured
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Don’t remove history’s lessons
- Coaching next step for local tennis standout Watt
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- Risk of government shutdown to worry Congress on return from July Fourth
- U.S.-led coalition unleashes wave of airstrikes on Raqqa, Syria
- Notorious New York escapee Sweat returns to prison
- Police: Maine man shoots off firework from top of head, dies
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Trump comments still dominate GOP debate, divide field of presidential contenders