Malara leads Mt. Pleasant boys to victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Malara scored a game-high 23 points to lead the Mt. Pleasant boys basketball team to a 69-50 win over host Yough in a Section 3-AAA game Friday. Cody Monroe added in 11 points, and Ryan Gumbita scored 10 for the Vikings (6-4, 2-1).
Ben D'Amico led the Cougars (4-7, 1-3) with 17 points. Josh Sterner added 11 points.
Greensburg Salem 81, Southmoreland 43 — Patrick Boyer scored 14 points, and Nick Holtzer and Max Ponzurick each contributed 12 points as the Golden Lions (2-6, 2-0) beat visiting Southmoreland in Section 3-AAA. Caleb Key scored 11 points.
Ben Niemiec led the Scotties (0-10, 0-4) with 14 points, and Jake Porter added 10 points.
Monessen 60, Geibel 23 — Luke Doptis scored 12 points as the Greyhounds (2-8, 1-0) started action in Section 3-A with a victory over the visiting Gators. Clintell Gillaspie notched 11 points, and Javon Brown added 10 points.
Aaron Agostoni led Geibel (0-6, 0-1) with 12 points.
Frazier vs. Jefferson-Morgan — The Section 5-AA game between Frazier and host Jefferson-Morgan was suspended because of a leaky roof.
The Rockets led the game, 61-55, with two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.
The game will be completed when Jefferson-Morgan travels to Frazier for a section game on Jan. 29. Girls basketball
Charleroi 45, Frazier 33— Mia Waytovich paced the Cougars (7-5) with 18 points, and Lindsay Wright added 10 points as Charleroi defeated host Frazier in nonsection action. Lauren Timko led the Commodores (4-4) with 13 points, and Cassidy Guiser had 11 points.
Rochester College 73, Penn State-Fayette 52 — Drew Maynard scored 20 points, and Stavros Schizas added 16 as Rochester College (18-3) knocked off host Penn State-Fayette in a nonconference game. Dramell Hogan tallied 14 points, and Brad Norman contributed 12 points.
Brandon Cunningham led the Roaring Lions (5-8) with 16 points, and David Winns had 15 points. Ryan Hart added 10.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- Man, child hit by car late Saturday in South Side
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Missing man found in Garfield
- Police: Maine man shoots off firework from top of head, dies
- Don’t remove history’s lessons
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Grandmother of boy dropped at Uniontown Hospital says he’s in ICU
- Starkey: Bring back the Brawl!
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report