local roundup: Latrobe girls edge Connellsville
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Taley Dunaway scored a game-high 20 points to lead the Latrobe girls basketball team to a 56-49 win over host Connellsville in a Section 1-AAAA contest on Monday. Rachel Kollar scored 11 points for the Wildcats (5-4, 4-1).
Mariah Merendino led the Falcons (5-7, 0-5) with 10 points.
Uniontown 61, Southmoreland 14 — Jessy Madison had 16 points and 11 rebounds as the Red Raiders (7-2, 3-1) cruised past the host Scotties (1-11, 0-5) in Section 3-AAA. Lydya Dennis and Vanasha Harris each scored 12 points. Alyssa Machesky followed with 11 points.
Winchester Thurston 50, Frazier 45 — Brittany Humphries recorded a game-high 19 points as Winchester Thurston (5-4, 2-0) picked up a Section 4-A win on the road. Shayla Barney scored 12 points.
Cassidy Guiser led the Commodores (4-5, 1-1) with 17 points.
Clairton 47, Geibel 38 — Justice Hall led all scorers with 17 points and Kamara Townes was next with 14 points as the Bears (3-3, 1-1) got past the visiting Gators in Section 4-A.
Peyton McIntyre led the Gators (2-9, 0-2) with 10 points.
Altoona 8, Connellsville 1 — Adam Badorrek scored three goals and added an assist as Altoona (6-5) picked up a PIHL Open Division win over visiting Connellsville. Matt Dalto scored two goals and added an assist, and Kody Blevins notched a goal and two assists. Catcher Cumming made eight saves to get the win in goal.
Thomas Clark stopped 63 shots for the Falcons (0-9). Jonathan Herchko scored a goal, and Cody McNatt added an assist.
Point Park 88, Penn State Fayette 74 — T.J. Heatherington scored 18 points as Point Park (9-6) claimed a nonconference win over host Penn State Fayette. Gabe McNeal and Jimmy Taylor each tallied 17 points with McNeal also pulling down 13 rebounds. Matt Noszka contributed 15 points.
Brandon Cunningham led the Roaring Lions (5-9) with 17 points, followed by Ryan Hart with 15. James Pratt scored 14 points, and C.J. Gattis added 10.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Officer reported wounded in New Florence
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Gorman: Central’s Wheeler ‘made the play we needed’
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Man, 19, wounded in Brighton Heights shooting
- Penn State notebook: Franklin maps out plan to join Big Ten elite
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Batteries key to alternative energy’s success
- WPIAL Class AA notes: South Fayette’s Saxton sets WPIAL finals record
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists