Guido: 20 high school sports questions for new year
By George Guido
Published: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 12:26 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Happy New Year to high school sports fans in the Alle-Kiski Valley and beyond.
No one knows what lies in store for scholastic sports in 2013, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Let's start off the new year with a game of 20 questions:
1. Will Wednesday's Kiski Area-Franklin Regional wrestling match be the first big high school event of 2013?
2. Have Highlands and Apollo-Ridge set themselves up for memorable football seasons?
3. Can Kittanning win its first WPIAL boys basketball playoff game since Feb. 24, 1984?
4. Will 2013 become the first time the A-K Valley has gone 10 years without a WPIAL football champion since the league went to multiple classifications in 1928?
5. Can Burrell win its seventh straight WPIAL team wrestling title?
6. Will the Fox Chapel boys and girls basketball teams qualify for the PIAA playoffs first the first time since 1998?
7. Is Burrell vs. Deer Lakes the top local rivalry in girls basketball?
8. Can Leechburg softball make the WPIAL playoffs for the 27th consecutive season?
9. Will Shady Side Academy collect five football victories and become the latest member of the 500-win club?
10. Will 2013 be the year school boards finally wise up and stop turning over coaching selections, field-use policies and cheerleader cuts to boosters clubs?
11. Can the Ford City girls basketball team extend its A-K Valley all-time best playoff qualifying streak to 18 seasons?
12. Who will win the first varsity softball game on Plum's new field this spring?
13. Will Valley get its numbers problem solved in girls basketball?
14. With its new, $84 million high school set to open this week, is it hard to believe that the Penn Hills School District, which had 18 buildings in 1964, will be down to three buildings soon?
15. How far will Clairton be able to extend its 63-game football winning streak?
16. Can Burrell baseball add to its streak of 14 straight WPIAL baseball appearances?
17. Can Freeport native Clyde Conti continue his remarkable job of turning around the Butler football program?
18. With competitive cheer ready to become the newest PIAA sport this year, how soon will it be until a school is accused of recruiting a cheerleader from a neighboring school?
19. Can Plum, which opened its football coaching position, halt its school record 16-game losing streak?
20. Which will be the next WPIAL school to sell naming rights to its football stadium, much like Avonworth (Lenzner Field) and Seneca Valley (NexTier Stadium) have done?
George Guido is a Valley News Dispatch scholastic sports correspondent. His column appears Wednesdays.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- Cheswick Council agrees to buy firetruck
- Chamber to become regional with merger
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Glassport council president resigns
- West Mifflin council tables plan to regulate borough resale shops
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.