Guido: 20 high school sports questions for new year
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Happy New Year to high school sports fans in the Alle-Kiski Valley and beyond.
No one knows what lies in store for scholastic sports in 2013, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Let's start off the new year with a game of 20 questions:
1. Will Wednesday's Kiski Area-Franklin Regional wrestling match be the first big high school event of 2013?
2. Have Highlands and Apollo-Ridge set themselves up for memorable football seasons?
3. Can Kittanning win its first WPIAL boys basketball playoff game since Feb. 24, 1984?
4. Will 2013 become the first time the A-K Valley has gone 10 years without a WPIAL football champion since the league went to multiple classifications in 1928?
5. Can Burrell win its seventh straight WPIAL team wrestling title?
6. Will the Fox Chapel boys and girls basketball teams qualify for the PIAA playoffs first the first time since 1998?
7. Is Burrell vs. Deer Lakes the top local rivalry in girls basketball?
8. Can Leechburg softball make the WPIAL playoffs for the 27th consecutive season?
9. Will Shady Side Academy collect five football victories and become the latest member of the 500-win club?
10. Will 2013 be the year school boards finally wise up and stop turning over coaching selections, field-use policies and cheerleader cuts to boosters clubs?
11. Can the Ford City girls basketball team extend its A-K Valley all-time best playoff qualifying streak to 18 seasons?
12. Who will win the first varsity softball game on Plum's new field this spring?
13. Will Valley get its numbers problem solved in girls basketball?
14. With its new, $84 million high school set to open this week, is it hard to believe that the Penn Hills School District, which had 18 buildings in 1964, will be down to three buildings soon?
15. How far will Clairton be able to extend its 63-game football winning streak?
16. Can Burrell baseball add to its streak of 14 straight WPIAL baseball appearances?
17. Can Freeport native Clyde Conti continue his remarkable job of turning around the Butler football program?
18. With competitive cheer ready to become the newest PIAA sport this year, how soon will it be until a school is accused of recruiting a cheerleader from a neighboring school?
19. Can Plum, which opened its football coaching position, halt its school record 16-game losing streak?
20. Which will be the next WPIAL school to sell naming rights to its football stadium, much like Avonworth (Lenzner Field) and Seneca Valley (NexTier Stadium) have done?
George Guido is a Valley News Dispatch scholastic sports correspondent. His column appears Wednesdays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Defensive lineman commits to PSU during campus visit
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Paying cost of attendance worries Power 5 schools large and small
- Classes increasingly blend in technology in Western Pa. schools
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘I almost left here’ says Highland Park woman who contracted flesh-eating bacteria
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites