Boys basketball remains perfect in section play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin overcame a fast start by Latrobe to stay perfect in Section 1-AAAA play with a 58-56 win at home on Friday.
The Knights (5-2, 3-0) trailed by 12 after one quarter but turned up the defense in the second period. Norwin limited Latrobe (3-3, 1-1) to one basket in the quarter, as it cut the margin from 12 to a 23-19 Wildcats lead at halftime.
Norwin completed the rally in the second half led by Curtis Perz with a game-high 17 points. Matt Stewart scored 13, and Zach Bryan added 10 for Norwin, while Blake Reeping led Latrobe with 16.
The Knights go out of section to face Baldwin in their next game on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Girls win, too
The Norwin girls basketball team also ended last week with a win by defeating Connellsville at home, 53-33, on Thursday.
Nikki Ingle led the Knights (3-4, 2-1) to the Section 1-AAAA win with 13 points, which was part of a team effort that overcame 21 points from Maria Meredino of Connellsville (1-5, 0-3).
The Knights will take part in the annual Betsy Tournament at Elizabeth Forward this Thursday and Friday, with the Thursday game slated to tip at 6:30 p.m.
Norwin's boys and girls swim teams, both 3-2 this season, are qualifying swimmers in bunches for this year's WPIAL meet, led by the girls relay teams.
All three girls relays have qualified — the 200-yard medley of Hannah Rusinko, Racheal Smrekar, Amanda Kaloz and Amanda Booth; and the 200 and 400 freestyle of Rusinko, Booth, Casi Smith and Smrekar — as have the boys 200 and 400 free relays of Eric Booth, Spencer Blazek, Cole Dempsey and Tyler Dempsey.
Rusinko is qualified individually in all events but the 100 breastroke and 50 and 100 free; and Smrekar is qualified in the 50 and 100 free.
Booth is qualified in the 200 individual medley, the 500 free, the 100 backstroke and the 100 breaststroke; and Tyler Dempsey is qualified in the 50 free.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Highmark won’t pay medical claims for 150 children, UPMC says
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Officials knock out ‘Fight Nights’ in man’s Mercer Co. garage
- Final L.A.-to-Homewood drug ring suspect rounded up in Montana
- Indiana County man injured in rollover crash along Route 22
- Man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Game Commission OKs deer culling in Mt. Lebanon
- Blawnox couple jailed in woman’s alleged abuse of boyfriend’s child