Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: Langham is one of the leading goaltenders in Class A hockey. His 1.57 goals-against average and .920 save percentage have helped lead Kittanning to a 5-2-1 record this season.
This team is dominating opponents this season. What do you think is the biggest reason?
We're playing defense really well. I'm not seeing too many shots. And Hunter (Grafton) and Christian (Miller) are burying a lot of pucks.
Kittanning won the section last year, and it's back in the mix again. How do you keep that success going from year-to-year?
We've been playing together our whole lives. We played amateurs together.
Is there a goaltender or a goaltender's style you try to emulate?
I don't really have a certain style. How ever I'm feeling. Sometimes, I play stand-up, or I'll do down a lot. It all depends.
On a one-on-one breakaway, do you wait for the puck handler to make a move, or do you force him to make a move?
I'll wait, but once he gets close enough, I'll try the poke-check. A lot of guys don't shoot. They'll wait to make a move, and I can usually get a poke-check in there.
What do you think about the NHL labor issues?
I would love for hockey to come back. Whatever way it works out, I just want them to play hockey again.
School: Kiski Area
Report card: At 6-foot-4, James is one of the tallest players in the WPIAL. A center who still is finding her way at the varsity level, she's averaging 12 points and eight rebounds for the Cavaliers, who are seeking their first win (0-7).
How are you learning to use your size to your advantage?
Lately, I've been learning to rebound better by making sure I get up there and make sure I go up tall and not small. I make sure I get big down on the block and make sure I catch the ball.
You transferred from Valley to Highlands to Kiski Area. How did you end up at Kiski Area?
I ended up at Kiski mostly for academic reasons, and I moved with my dad. The school is much better education-wise. I feel I'd learn a lot more than at Highlands or Valley.
Can you dunk?
No, not yet, but we are trying. It's going to take some time. It's going to take a lot of me working with my legs to get me up there.
Have you thought about playing volleyball?
I'm thinking about it. The coaches have talked to me. All the girls on the basketball team play, and they have been talking to me about it.
Any New Year's resolutions?
I'd say probably to improve my game and be a bigger asset to my team, produce on the things I need to work on like catching the ball, rebounding and playing better defense.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Feds investigating millions embezzled from Matthews International Corp. of Pittsburgh
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Indiana County coroner: Death of 19-year-old student found on IUP campus not suspicious
- Free training sessions to administer naloxone opiod antidote to begin in Derry
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- Western Pa. played role, was transformed by victory in World War II
- North Allegheny, Ellis School hope to defend field hockey titles
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game