Girls basketball stays unbeaten, enters rankings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penn-Trafford's girls basketball team headed into the holidays with an undefeated record after picking up a Section 1-AAAA win at home over Kiski Area, 71-40, on Thursday.
Mia Barchetti knocked down five 3-pointers on her way to a game-high 17 points, Jackie Bevilacqua and Morgan Rector both scored 11, and Taylor Cortazzo added 10 points for Penn-Trafford (6-0, 3-0).
The Warriors kept up the defense, as well, by holding Kiski Area (0-5, 0-2) star Maddie Antone to only eight points and limiting the Cavaliers to 27 points through three quarters.
The win helped catapult Penn- Trafford to the No. 5 spot in this week's Tribune-Review Class AAA rankings, but that spot will be challenged this week at the North Allegheny Christmas Tournament. The Warriors face Class A No. 3 North Catholic on Thursday at 1:30 p.m., and then will play either North Allegheny or Plum on Friday.
Boys win, too
The Penn-Trafford boys team went out of section for its last game before the holidays and picked up a 70-49 win at home over Laurel Highlands on Saturday.
Andy Abreu had a big day by scoring a season-high 27 points for Penn-Trafford (5-1), while Christian Rohaus scored 17 points, and Corey Stanford added 16. Shane Guthrie led Laurel Highlands (3-4) with 16 points.
The Warriors have three games in three days this week, as part of the Shady Side Academy Christmas Tournament.
The team's first game is against Obama Academy on Thursday at 4:30 p.m., which will be followed by a game against Highlands on Friday at 6 p.m. and a game against Bethel Park at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Penn-Trafford's swim teams dropped a nonsection meet at home on Thursday against Peters Township. The girls team suffered its first loss of the season, 101-82, while the boys were topped, 102-83.
P-T next opens section competition at home against Hempfield on Jan. 3 at 6 p.m.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: State record possible for South Fayette QB
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- White woman sues sperm bank for giving her donation from black man
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Girl missing for 12 years rescued in Mexico; mother arrested
- VIA Festival in Pittsburgh stays on cutting-edge for music, visual/video art
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office seeks halt to sheriff’s sale of Conneaut Lake Park
- Sloppy Dogzz? Yeah, but the taste is what matters in Lower Burrell
- Actress takes on Williams’ classic character in ‘Glass Menagerie’