High school roundup: Mt. Pleasant wrestling team wins big
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Mike Novak (126 pounds) and Andy Yoder (138) each won by fall to help the Mt. Pleasant wrestling team earn a 57-14 win over visiting Charleroi in a Section 2-AA (2B) match Wednesday.
Bobby Long (152) won on a technical fall, and Aldo Garcia (132) scored a major decision. Evan Haines (160), Ben Smail (170), Austin Piper (182), Justin Overly (195), Eli Holt (220) and Jack Keslar (285) each received a forfeit victory for the Vikings (7-2, 3-1).
Southmoreland 33, Highlands 31 — Julea Claycomb hit a game-winning basket with three seconds left in overtime to lift the Scotties (2-11) to a nonsection win. Southmoreland led, 24-10, heading into the fourth quarter but surrendered a 15-0 run. The Scotties regrouped and were able to get the game to overtime before Claycomb, who finished with eight points, came through in the clutch. Brooke Cotton finished with 10 points, and Hannah Porter added nine points.
Carly Hines led Highlands (1-9) with 12 points and Nikki Misejka followed with 11 points.
Carmichaels 48, Frazier 41 — Morgan Berardi led all scorers with 23 points, and Amanda Brown added 13 points as the Mikes (11-1) picked up a nonsection win over visiting Frazier.
Lauren Timko paced the Commodores (4-6) with 16 points, and Cassidy Guiser scored 11 points.
Jefferson-Morgan 67, Geibel 64 — Travis Taylor scored 20 points, and Rece Henneman came through with 19 points as the Rockets (6-6) clipped host Geibel in a nonsection game. Jordan Dicks added 10 points.
Aaron Agostoni led the Gators (0-8) with 19 points. Tyler Schweiss scored 11 points, and Ryan Robson contributed 11 points.
Elizabeth Forward 76, Southmoreland 48 — Jaquan Davidson scored 23 points, and Matt Bernadowski added 12 points as the Warriors (6-6) defeated visiting Southmoreland in nonsection action.
Zac Black scored 18 points for the Scotties (0-12). Randy Ohler netted 10 points.
Carmichaels 73, Frazier 42 — Brandon Lawless tallied a game-high 31 points to guide the Mikes (10-2) to a nonsection win over host Frazier. Sean Smoggie scored 19 points, and Josh Mundell added 10 points.
Paul Pellick notched 10 points for the Commodores (1-8). Charles Manack collected 13 rebounds to go along with five assists and five steals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Teen charged with firing shots in Wilkins, abducting woman
- Puppies’ eyes glued shut, South Huntingdon animal shelter says