High school roundup: Six area wrestlers advance
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Six local wrestlers won quarterfinal bouts Friday to move into Saturday's semifinals at the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Meet at Franklin Regional High School.
Mt. Pleasant's Mike Novak (120 pounds), Austin Mears (145), Austin Piper (170) and Eli Holt (195) along with Southmoreland's Austin Griffiths (106) and Jacob Beistel (285) each remained in the winners' bracket.
In the quarterfinals, Novak pinned Derry's Stoney Kepple, and Mears, Piper and Holt each won by decision.
Griffiths and Beistel each advanced with quarterfinal pins. Griffiths shouldered Franklin Regional's Andrew Marshall and Beistel planked Derry's Adam Beich.
Mt. Pleasant's Andy Yoder (138), Bobby Long (152), Evan Haines (160) and Jack Keslar (285) as well as Southmoreland's Dakota Datz (182) will try to fight their way through the consolation bracket after losing in the quarterfinals.
In the team standings, Mt. Pleasant sits in sixth with 49 points. Southmoreland is 14th with 20 points. Franklin Regional is the team leader with 821⁄2 points.
Norwin 56, Connellsville 36 — Jim Leichliter, Trent Bauer and Caleb Pittsment each scored 10 points, but the Falcons (2-11, 0-5) were defeated by host Norwin in Section 1-AAAA.
Curtis Perz led all scorers with 25 points for the Knights (8-4, 5-0).
Frazier 77, West Greene 42 — Charles Manack posted a game-high 18 points as the Commodores (2-8, 1-4) picked up their first Section 5-AA win of the season. Vincent Bucci scored 13 points, and Cory Lutska added 10 points.
Austin Eddy and Dustin Shough each finished with 12 points for the host Pioneers (0-10, 0-6).
Carmichaels 76, Geibel 50 — Brandon Lawless poured in 39 points to lead the Mikes (11-2, 2-1) to a Section 3-A victory over visiting Geibel.
Jaichan Ray paced the Gators (0-9, 0-3) with 21 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Freeport Invitational notebook: New title for FIBI founder
- Victim of Monessen standoff committed suicide
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Pa. auditor cites flaws in gas drilling regulation
- Westmoreland County gets the word out about drug problem
- PAVING THE WAY
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Blaze ravages South Huntingdon home