Local roundup: Griffiths, Beistel earn medals at county wrestling meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Southmoreland wrestlers Austin Griffiths and Jacob Beistel each earned a medal at the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Meet Saturday at Franklin Regional High School. Griffiths (106 pounds) settled for second overall after falling to Latrobe's Luke Pletcher, 15-3, in the title bout. Beistel (285) finished third after winning by injury default over Latrobe's Tyler Mears.
Mt. Pleasant had six wrestlers finish on the medal stand, with Austin Mears earning the highest honor for the group: a fourth-place showing. Austin Mears (145) dropped a 6-3 decision to Belle Vernon's Derek Verkleeren in the consolation final. Mike Novak (120) and Eli Holt (195) each won in the fifth-place match. Novak defeated Latrobe's Eric Mills, 3-2, in overtime, and Holt bested Franklin Regional's Jacob Pickup, 6-0. Andy Yoder (138), Austin Piper (170) and Justin Overly (182) each lost in a fifth-place bout and finished sixth overall.
Franklin Regional finished first in the team standings with 193 points. Mt. Pleasant came in 10th with 78 points and Southmoreland was 15th with 48 points.
Central Dauphin 48, Connellsville 14 — Tyler Kenney (106) won by technical fall, and Tyler Steele (145) earned a decision, but the Falcons lost to the host team as part of the Central Dauphin Duals on Saturday. Dylan Miller (220) won by forfeit for Connellsville.
Baldwin 52, Connellsville 35 — Amanda Larkin scored 12 points, and Taylor Duchon added 10 points as the Highlanders (6-6) picked up a nonsection win over host Connellsville on Saturday.
Maria Merendino paced the Falcons (6-8) with 11 points, followed by Marissa Matesic with 10 points.
Penn State Fayette 90, Penn State Mont Alto 37 — Tara Neely scored a game-high 17 points, and Stephanie Longo added 15 points as the Roaring Lions (5-6, 4-0) earned a PSUAC victory over host Penn State Mont Alto on Saturday. Shannon Flament scored 14 points to go with 10 rebounds, and Kasey Ruble connected for 13 points. Caitlin Wontroba tallied 12 points, and Kaitlyn Novak was next with 11 points.
Aaliyah Daniels led Penn State Mont Alto with 13 points, and Alexis Small grabbed 10 rebounds.
Penn State Fayette 69, Penn State Mont Alto 61 — Brandon Cunningham led all scorers with 19 points, and James Pratt had 15 points as the Roaring Lions (6-9, 5-2) picked up a PSUAC win over host Penn State Mont Alto on Saturday. Darius Mack and Dierre Jenkins each had 10 points, and Ryan Hart pulled in 11 rebounds.
Cameron Bowens led Penn State Mont Alto with 17 points, and Jeremiah Mitchell added 16 points and 10 rebounds. Jeffery Bowie came through with 10 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Pittsburgh zoo receives $9M gift — largest ever — from Mellon Foundation
- West Mifflin Area to celebrate newest graduate’s life, legacy
- Officials: Broken rail caused February W.V. train derailment
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released