Local roundup: Big 2nd half lifts Kiski Area girls past McKeesport
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kiski Area separated itself from McKeesport in the second half to win a nonsection girls basketball game Saturday, 48-33, in Allegheny Township.
The victory snapped a six-game losing streak for Kiski Area (3-10) against nonsection teams.
Maddie Antone recorded a double-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds, and Liz Recchia added eight points and 10 rebounds for the Cavaliers.
Maniah Robinson led McKeesport (6-8) with 11 points.
Shaler 46, Deer Lakes 28 — Class AA No. 3 Deer Lakes (11-1) suffered its first loss of the season, scoring just two third-quarter points against Class AAAA Shaler (5-8).
The Lancers had just nine points after halftime.
Becca Babincak scored a game-high 16 for Deer Lakes.
Kiski Area 69, Valley 36 — Kiski Area (10-4) posted its fifth straight win, jumping out to a 46-16 halftime lead against Valley (3-9). Joe Brungo scored 10 of his 14 points in the first quarter, and Mitch Murdock had a season-high 16 points for the Cavaliers.
Penn-Trafford 49, Fox Chapel 45 — Andy Abreu's 19 points, including a 9 for 10 from the foul line, helped Penn-Trafford (8-5) sneak by Fox Chapel (10-3) in the Coaches vs. Cancer Backyard Brawlz Tournament at Seton Hill.
Fox Chapel had a 30-14 halftime lead, but Penn-Trafford rallied in the second half.
Matt D'Amico led the Foxes with 23 points.
Cheswick Christian Academy 88, Champion Christian 27 — Seven players scored in double figures as the Chargers rolled to victory in Southwest Christian Athletic Conference game.
Tyler Knupp led the way with 18 points, and Bobby Wilson added 14 for Cheswick Christian (9-5, 4-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Baseball needs a new schedule
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Steelers remain confident in defense
- Berry wins Steelers’ punting job; Wing traded to Giants
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pitt’s Narduzzi revisits YSU roots in opener
- Security guard shot outside East Hills restaurant
- State lawmaker proposes increasing cost of state fishing licenses
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Armstrong football wins inaugural game
- Armstrong River Hawks make their debut