High school roundup: Mt. Pleasant wrestlers blank Jeannette
Jeremy Lawrence (120 pounds), Aldo Garcia (132), Austin Mears (145), Ethan Charlesworth (152), Evan Haines (160), Austin Piper (170) and Eli Holt (195) each won by fall to lead the Mt. Pleasant wrestling team to a 68-0 win over host Jeannette in a Section 2-AA (2B) match on Wednesday.
Mike Novak (126) and Andy Yoder (138) each recorded a win via major decision. Justin Overly (182), Josh Lind (220) and Jack Keslar (285) each received a forfeit victory.
With the win, Mt. Pleasant (8-2, 4-1) clinched a spot in the WPIAL Class AA team tournament. The Vikings will compete for the section championship Wednesday.
Yough 48, Southmoreland 22 — Tyler Lynch (106) and Jacob Virgin (126) each recorded a pin, but the Scotties (2-3, 2-3) fell to host Yough in a Section 2-AA (2B) match. Austin Griffiths (120) won by major decision. Dakota Datz (182) and Jacob Beistel (285) each won by decision.
JP Sommers (138), Doug Stange (145), Mike Anderson (152) and Clay Waldren (160) each won by fall for the Cougars (13-1, 5-0). Teddy Charletta (132) and Seth Spoonhoward (170) each scored a win on a decision. David Vilcheck (113), Gary Fallecker (195) and Christian Williams (220) each received a forfeit victory.
Elizabeth Forward 55, Mt. Pleasant 36 — Alison Pastore scored 11 points, and Kylie Owoc followed with 10 points as the Warriors (13-1) defeated the host Vikings in a nonsection game.
Casey Zelenak led all scorers for the Vikings (8-6) with 12 points.
Uniontown 50, Laurel Highlands 34 — Danasha Harris scored 18 points, and Lydya Dennis tallied 12 points in a nonsection win for the Red Raiders (10-2) over the Fillies.
Haley Moreland led Laurel Highlands (0-15) with 10 points.
Penn State Fayette 82, Penn State Greater Allegheny 70 — James Pratt scored 21 points, and Brandon Cunningham came through with 16 points as the Roaring Lions (7-9, 6-2) defeated visiting Penn State Greater Allegheny in a PSUAC contest. Ryan Hart added 11 points.
Petrie Addison led Penn State Greater Allegheny (5-10, 2-6) with 27 points. Nick Dizon and Aaron Byrd each scored 13 points.
Penn State Fayette 64, Penn State Greater Allegheny 52 — Caitlin Wontroba scored 19 points, and Tara Neely tallied 10 points as the Roaring Lions (6-6, 5-0) beat visiting Penn State Greater Allegheny in a PSUAC game.
Christina Floyd scored 25 points and added 15 rebounds for Penn State Greater Allegheny (9-6, 4-3). Taylor Fulton chipped in 16 points.
Freshman boys basketball
Connellsville 44, Belle Vernon 20 — Jim Cellurale scored 14 points as the Falcons (5-5) beat visiting Belle Vernon. Corey Fogle and Caleb Miller each scored eight points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- 1 intruder killed, another injured in Carrick home invasion
- Squirrel Hill street that had been paved getting another pave job
- Clemson’s Stoudt is one of the unheralded ACC QBs trying to break out
- Latrobe’s Ci Medical Technologies transforms to medical device business
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested
- Moody’s downgrades Pa. rating; Corbett ponders pension reform session
- Ukrainian festival will go on in McKees Rocks despite crisis in homeland
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Mercer restoration company turns junk into repurposed treasure
- ACC notebook: Pitt predicted to finish 6th in Coastal Division