Local roundup: Deer Lakes climbs into top spot in section
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Don't look now, but Section 1-AA has a new first-place team.
Deer Lakes' boys basketball team grabbed the top spot with a 48-44 victory over Burrell on Tuesday night in Lower Burrell.
“Going into the last section game, we were in third place,” Deer Lakes first-year coach Jon McKay said. “The kids believed we can play with and beat anyone in the section.
“This game was a big-time nail-bitter; a little bit of a playoff atmosphere with a big crowd.”
J.J. Kowalkowski scored 16 points, Tim Jaczesko added 14 and Cody Keenan had 12 to lead Deer Lakes (9-5, 4-1), which held off the Bucs (9-4, 3-2) in the second half.
Pete Spagnolo led Burrell with 13 points, and Cole Bush added 10.
Ford City 51, Apollo-Ridge 48 (OT) — Jesse Sequeira completed a 3-point play with 2.6 seconds left to lift Ford City (4-10, 1-4) over Apollo-Ridge (10-3, 3-2) in Section 1-AA play. Apollo-Ridge led, 25-19, at the half.
Andrew Labutka and David Lattanzio each scored 14 to lead Ford City, while Tre Tipton (14 points), Evan Davis (12) both scored in double figures.
Freeport 49, Highlands 48 — Fouled on a 3-point attempt, Brendan Lynch made 1 of 3 free throws with 1.4 seconds left to help Freeport (5-6, 2-4) escape Highlands (0-14, 0-6) in Section 1-AAA play.
Lynch and teammate Robbie Miller each scored 18 to lead the Yellowjackets. Kaison Branch scored 12 points, and Aquelay Frison added 10 for Highlands.
Riverview 42, Springdale 36 — Riverview (5-9, 2-4) outscored Springdale (2-11, 0-6), 24-14, in the second half to down the Dynamos in Section 3-AA. Zach Lesnick scored a team-high 11 points for Riverview (5-9, 2-4). Charlie Guy recorded a double-double with 25 points and 11 rebounds for Springdale.
Leechburg 54, Trinity Christian 39 — Leechburg (6-7, 2-1) scored 22 fourth-quarter points to pull away for good in a Section 3-A win over Trinity Christian (2-10, 0-4). Chris Swank and Jake Iellimo recorded double-doubles for Leechburg. Swank had 19 points and 14 rebounds, while Iellimo posted 11 points and 13 rebounds.
Plum 57, Franklin Regional 33 — Plum (7-7, 3-4) outscored Franklin Regional (7-7, 2-5), 38-13, over the second and third quarters on the way to a Section 2-AAAA victory. Nick Stotler had a game-high 22 points, and Griffin Myers added 14 points for Plum.
Plum 61, Franklin Regional 48 — Plum (10-4, 4-2) outscored Franklin Regional (7-5, 3-3) by 14 in the third quarter to win a Section 2-AAAA game. Krista Pietropola scored 15 of her 19 points in the fourth. Courtney Zezza scored 16 points, and Aly Weifenbaugh added 12 for Plum.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- UPMC, Highmark disagree over payment of medical claims for children
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- Donora man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- Arnold officer injured in attempt to detain suspect