High school roundup: Kiski Area wrestlers earn another win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Kiski Area wrestling team continued to play pinball with its opponents, adding another runaway victory to a growing list of them Wednesday night.
Eight pins and two technical-fall wins carried the Cavaliers to a 70-9 victory over McKeesport in a Section 1(A)-AAA match.
Kiski Area, ranked No. 2 in Class AAA, is now 12-0 overall and 5-0 in section.
The pins came from Mitchell Nagy (113 pounds), Jake Ardellitz (132), Garrett Fitzsimmons (138), Cole Landowski (145), Kyle Skelly (152), Shane McGowan (160), Jake McClarnon (220) and Shane Kuhn (285).
McKeesport moved to 7-3, 2-3.
Central Catholic 37, Plum 30 — Plum (2-3) rallied from a 28-0 deficit to make things interesting against Central in a Section 3(B)-AAA match.
Chris Nuss (145 pounds), Cal Coniker (152) and Zach Deluca (220) all had pins for Central Catholic. Stephen Turchick won by fall for Plum at 285.
Mars 54, Knoch 21 — Mars won its first dual match of the season, defeating Knoch in a Section 3(A)-AAA contest.
Max Hulak (106), Silas Bender (120), Richard Boeh (126), Andy Selker (152), Ryan McMahon (160), Nathan Bair (182), Austin Bitzer (195) and Trey Turnblacer (285) all won by fall for the Planets.
Knoch got falls from Matt Steinmiller (145) and Ben Nowicki (170).
Apollo-Ridge 75, Highlands 51 — Four of five starters for Apollo-Ridge scored in double figures as the Vikings (11-3) recorded a nonsection victory against Highlands (0-15).
Alex Smith, Evan Davis and Josh Reynolds all scored 14 points in the win, while teammates Connor Billingsley and Tre Tipton chipped in 12 apiece for the Vikings.
Julian Flenory and Aquelay Frison both had 16 for Highlands.
Plum 51, Shaler 48 — Plum (11-4) rallied in the second half, erasing an 11-point halftime deficit, to post a nonsection win over Shaler (6-9).
Krista Pietropola scored a game-high 24 points, and Aly Weifenbaugh had 11 for the Mustangs.
Springdale 44, Leechburg 21 — Sydney Smajda scored 10 points and swiped 10 steals to lead Springdale (7-8) past Leechburg (0-13) in nonsection play.
Amanda Koprivnikar had a game-high 12 points for the Dynamos.
Leechburg has lost 18 in a row dating to last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather