High school roundup: Connellsville wrestlers defeat Waynesburg
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Connellsville wrestling team won eight of 14 bouts to earn a 36-21 decision over host Waynesburg in a nonsection match on Friday.
Tommy Provance (160 pounds), Andy Cecil (170) and Dylan Miller (220) each won by fall for the Falcons (17-2). Ethan Kenney (138) picked up a major decision, while Tyler Kenney (106), Francis Cavalier (182) and Gunnar Lynch (heavyweight) each won via decision. Matt Butler (195) received a forfeit victory. The Falcons were docked one team point for unsportsmanlike conduct.
A.C. Headlee (113) recorded a pin for the Raiders. Logan Henderson (120), Shaun Wilson (126), Terry Victor (132), Shane Piper (145) and Bo Hampson (152) each scored a decision for Waynesburg.
Connellsville will host Mt. Lebanon, Peters Township in Belle Vernon in the Section 2-AAA championship Wednesday.
Geibel 52, Avella 46 — Tyler Schweiss scored a team-high 15 points, and Mykel Ray tallied 11 points as the Gators defeated host Avella in Section 3-A for their first victory of the season. Aaron Agostoni had 10 points, and Martin Berish followed with nine points for Geibel (1-10, 1-4).
Brandon Miller led all scorers with 17 points for the Eagles (2-12, 0-5). Walt Kopko scored 11 points.
Frazier 53, Beth-Center 37 — Charlie Manack notched a game-high 23 points, and Roger Cline connected for 10 points as the Commodores (3-9, 2-5) defeated host Beth-Center in Section 5-AA.
Adam Walters paced the Bulldogs (7-7, 4-4) with 12 points.
Laurel Highlands 74, Southmoreland 35 — Shane Guthrie scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Mustangs (10-5, 6-1) to a Section 3-AAA win over the visiting Scotties. Keith Liptock and Joe Pegg each scored 11 points.
Zac Black contributed 10 points for the Scotties (0-14, 0-7).
Uniontown 69, Derry 43 — Jordan Pratt scored 32 points, and Christian Kezmarsky tallied 15 points as the Red Raiders (12-2, 6-1) beat host Derry in Section 3-AAA.
Lucas Maloy and Andy Paniwi each scored 12 points for the Trojans (6-7, 3-4).
Belle Vernon 42, Mt. Pleasant 35 — Jessica Slagus scored 10 points in a nonsection win for the Leopards (10-4). Tiernie Singleton and Bria Rathway each scored 10 points.
Alexa Szelong led the Vikings (7-8) with 10 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Cochran repair center planned in Harrison
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Memorial Day service in National Cemetery of the Alleghenies still growing
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014