Gators fare well in sweep of St. Joes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway bowling head coach Andrew Smith said he continues to be impressed with the performance of his teams, and the Gators swept past St. Joseph last week in Northeast section action.
Each team won by 7-0 scores.
Juniors Angela Chusko and Tori Smith again paced the girls team, as both rolled three games above 200.
Chusko (213-247-249) tallied her second 700-plus series of the season. She led all of the WPIBL with a 214.60 average before Wednesday's match against Burrell.
“Like her first 700 series, Angela improved every game,” coach Smith said.
Tori Smith bowled a 200, a 247 and a 201 for a 648 series.
“It's tough to lose when two bowl above 650 and you get a lot of support from the rest of the team,” coach Smith said.
Junior Morgan Sayre (137-193-170) added a 500 series for the Gators, who improved to 4-1 and remained tied with Plum and Penn Hills atop the section standings.
On the boys side, junior Jon McAnany rose to sixth in the Northeast section in average with a 671 series (170-264-237).
“As the only starter back from last year, Jon is really earning that leadership role on the team,” coach Smith said.
“He's improved throughout the season.”
McAnany found himself with a 205.92 average through week five.
“That 264 is a great feat for him,” coach Smith said. “(The average) is better than he thought it would be at this point of the season, but I know he can keep that up.”
Freshman Ryan Skladany bowled a 196 and 124 in games one and two, respectively, but he rebounded in game three for a 216.
“Ryan really found his line at the end of the second game,” coach Smith said.
Fellow freshman Bailey Diggins tallied a 570 series (204-187-179) against St. Joseph.
Gateway improved to 3-2 after the St. Joseph match, behind Plum (5-0) and Penn Hills (4-1).
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Government survey: More teens trying out e-cigarettes than real thing
- Armstrong contributes to project to replace Kittanning retaining wall
- Charity helps dozens of McKeesport area children in need get new shoes
- Munhall garbage collection rates to increase
- McKeesport Area student’s Project Christmas expands in 2nd year
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.