Local roundup: Burrell boys basketball team defeats Ford City
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pete Spagnolo scored a game-high 25 points and made all 11 of his free-throw attempts, as the Burrell boys basketball team rolled to a 55-40 victory at Ford City on Saturday afternoon.
The game was rescheduled after Friday's weather-related postponement.
Burrell (11-6, 4-2 Section 1-AA), which hit 15 of 16 free throws, has won two in a row following a four-game losing skid. Andrew Labutka had 14 points, including four 3-pointers, for Ford City (4-13, 1-7).
Kiski Area 63, Albert Gallatin 23 — Mike Simmons scored a career-high 27 points to lead Kiski Area to a Section 1-AAAA win over Albert Gallatin. Ten of Simmons' points came in the first quarter, and he tallied 15 points in the third. Joe Brungo contributed 10 points for Kiski Area, which has won eight straight.
Nick Stone (flu) was inactive for the Cavaliers.
Fox Chapel 61, Woodland Hills 58 — Fox Chapel (13-4, 8-2) fought off a fourth-quarter comeback from Woodland Hills (4-13, 0-10) and captured its third straight Section 2-AAAA win. Brian Papich and Billy Urso contributed 21 and 20 points, respectively, for the Foxes, and Matt D'Amico chipped in 11.
Brian Baker led Woodland Hills with 21 points.
Cheswick Christian Academy 55, Portersville Christian 39 — Tyler Knupp scored 16 points as Cheswick Christian Academy (13-5, 7-0) rolled to its eighth straight win and remained undefeated in Southwest Christian Athletic Conference play. Ian Swartz chipped in 10 points, and Andrew Maust added seven points and 10 rebounds for the Chargers.
Fox Chapel 69, Woodland Hills 45 — Fox Chapel (13-4, 8-1) saw a four-point halftime lead evaporate in the third quarter but rallied to down the Wolverines (5-12, 2-7) in Section 2-AAAA play.
Erin Mathias led Fox Chapel with 19 points and 20 rebounds. Anna Palumbo scored 17 points for Fox Chapel, including a key pair of 3-pointers in the third.
West Shamokin 38, St. Joseph 22 — Jill Glover scored a game-high 20 points as Class AA West Shamokin (11-8) topped Class A St. Joseph (8-9) in non section play. Catherine Simms scored 10 points to lead St. Joseph, which played without starting center Mallory Heinle, who is battling a knee injury.
Central Catholic Duals — Burrell posted a 3-1 record and took second place behind unbeaten Hempfield at the Central Catholic Duals.
Burrell defeated Central Catholic, 53-22.
Sharon Duals — Fox Chapel finished second, posting a 3-2 record, and Valley was seventh (2-3) at the Sharon Duals. Tyler Lieber finished 5-0 for Fox Chapel.
New Oxford Tournament — Plum 182-pounder Nate Turchick and 195-pounder Jake Diguilio finished third at the New Oxford Tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Fox Chapel native nearing return to Penn State offensive line
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial