Local roundup: Mt. Pleasant takes 3rd at section tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Members of the Mt. Pleasant wrestling team had a tough task Wednesday night after falling to Jefferson-Morgan in the semifinals of the Section 2-AA team tournament.
Just minutes after dropping a 41-30 decision, the Vikings had to step back on the mat for the section's consolation bout against Yough, a team that had just suffered its second loss of the season.
Thanks to pins by Eli Holt (195 pounds) and Josh Lind (220) and major decision victories by Andy Yoder (138) and Justin Overly (182), the Vikings scored a 35-27 decision over Yough (14-3). Also for Mt. Pleasant (9-3), Mike Novak (126) won by forfeit, and Austin Mears (145), Bobby Long (152) and Ethan Charles (160) earned decisions.
Against Jefferson-Morgan, Novak (120) and Holt (195) had pins.
Jefferson-Morgan defeated Bentworth, 43-22, in the finals to win the Section 2 title.
Frazier 73, Geibel 63 — Four players were in double figures as Frazier (4-10) won a nonsection contest.
Charles Manack scored 22 and was aided by Roger Cline (14), Paul Pellick (12) and Vincent Bucci (11).
Aaron Agostoni had 23 points for Geibel (2-12).
Frazier 51, California 37 — Lauren Timko scored 16 points to lead Frazier (8-7) to a nonsection win. Courtnee McMasters had 17 points for California (12-4).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge lets Ten Commandments monument stand
- Freeport to address sewage bill deadbeats
- Burrell considers renovating former weight room
- Harrison resident want answers to flooding concerns
- Fayette County townships’ leaders worry about water plant
- Connellsville Health Board discusses rundown properties
- Hundreds to participate in ninth annual Nicholson Memorial Bike Run to benefit cancer patients
- Foundation fundraiser stylish in ‘Simply Silver’
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- VFW’s new national chief of staff has distinguished service pedigree
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season