Local roundup: Mt. Pleasant takes 3rd at section tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Members of the Mt. Pleasant wrestling team had a tough task Wednesday night after falling to Jefferson-Morgan in the semifinals of the Section 2-AA team tournament.
Just minutes after dropping a 41-30 decision, the Vikings had to step back on the mat for the section's consolation bout against Yough, a team that had just suffered its second loss of the season.
Thanks to pins by Eli Holt (195 pounds) and Josh Lind (220) and major decision victories by Andy Yoder (138) and Justin Overly (182), the Vikings scored a 35-27 decision over Yough (14-3). Also for Mt. Pleasant (9-3), Mike Novak (126) won by forfeit, and Austin Mears (145), Bobby Long (152) and Ethan Charles (160) earned decisions.
Against Jefferson-Morgan, Novak (120) and Holt (195) had pins.
Jefferson-Morgan defeated Bentworth, 43-22, in the finals to win the Section 2 title.
Frazier 73, Geibel 63 — Four players were in double figures as Frazier (4-10) won a nonsection contest.
Charles Manack scored 22 and was aided by Roger Cline (14), Paul Pellick (12) and Vincent Bucci (11).
Aaron Agostoni had 23 points for Geibel (2-12).
Frazier 51, California 37 — Lauren Timko scored 16 points to lead Frazier (8-7) to a nonsection win. Courtnee McMasters had 17 points for California (12-4).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Ebola watch lists to shrink
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Scottdale appoints borough solicitor
- Pittsburgh photo exhibit shines light on ‘Good’ work
- Customers rarely utilize right to cancel a contract
- Monessen police break up fight
- Freeport falls prey to Montour firepower