Local roundup: Connellsville boys basketball team's win streak snapped
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jim Leichliter scored 13 points, but the Connellsville boys basketball team dropped a 57-41 decision to host Hempfield in Section 1-AAAA action Saturday. Trent Bauer scored 11 points for the Falcons (6-12, 2-6). The loss snapped a four-game win streak for Connellsville.
Kasen Harrell led all scorers with 24 points for the Spartans (14-4, 7-2). Mike Nauman scored 12 points.
Derry 55, Mt. Pleasant 49 — Andy Panizzi scored a game-high 27 points as the Trojans (9-7, 5-4) rallied from a 17-5 first-quarter deficit to earn a Section 3-AAA win at home on Saturday. Matt Vasinko scored 10 points.
Ryan Gumbita led the Vikings (8-8, 4-4) with 15 points, and Cody Monroe tossed in 10.
Thomas Subaru Tournament — Six Mt. Pleasant wrestlers earned medals at the Thomas Subaru Tournament in Bedford on Saturday. Justin Overly (182 pounds) took third place, and Mike Novak (120) finished fourth. Bobby Long (152) was fifth, and Austin Mears (145) was sixth. Eli Holt (195) and Ethan Charlesworth (160) each scored an eighth-place finish.
Penn State Fayette 76, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — Kasey Ruble scored a game-high 30 points and added 14 rebounds as the Roaring Lions (9-7, 8-1) beat visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday in a PSUAC game. Caitlin Wontroba scored 13, and Kaitlyn Novak added 11 points.
Tiffany Denny-Roches led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (5-13, 2-9) with 18 points. Tiaira Brathwaite and Jalicia Robinson each scored 15 points. Brathwaite added 10 rebounds.
Penn State Fayette 75, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — James Pratt and Brandon Cunningham each scored 22 points to lead the Roaring Lions (9-11, 8-4) to a PSUAC win over visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday. Pratt also finished with 10 rebounds. Ryan Hart scored 13 points.
Denzel Mensah led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (7-14, 5-8) with 13 points. Drew Walker scored 11 points, and Keith Johnson had 10 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- NFL notebook: Sanchez says Eagles signed Tebow as extra arm in camp
- Serious injury reported in Penn Hills fire
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- 3 names added to Tuskegee Airmen Memorial in Sewickley
- Parkway West closure canceled
- Defense dominates West Virginia’s spring game
- Views of Heinz Field entice National Guard recruits
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting
- Special events planned as part of Kennywood’s 2015 season