Local roundup: Connellsville boys basketball team's win streak snapped
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jim Leichliter scored 13 points, but the Connellsville boys basketball team dropped a 57-41 decision to host Hempfield in Section 1-AAAA action Saturday. Trent Bauer scored 11 points for the Falcons (6-12, 2-6). The loss snapped a four-game win streak for Connellsville.
Kasen Harrell led all scorers with 24 points for the Spartans (14-4, 7-2). Mike Nauman scored 12 points.
Derry 55, Mt. Pleasant 49 — Andy Panizzi scored a game-high 27 points as the Trojans (9-7, 5-4) rallied from a 17-5 first-quarter deficit to earn a Section 3-AAA win at home on Saturday. Matt Vasinko scored 10 points.
Ryan Gumbita led the Vikings (8-8, 4-4) with 15 points, and Cody Monroe tossed in 10.
Thomas Subaru Tournament — Six Mt. Pleasant wrestlers earned medals at the Thomas Subaru Tournament in Bedford on Saturday. Justin Overly (182 pounds) took third place, and Mike Novak (120) finished fourth. Bobby Long (152) was fifth, and Austin Mears (145) was sixth. Eli Holt (195) and Ethan Charlesworth (160) each scored an eighth-place finish.
Penn State Fayette 76, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — Kasey Ruble scored a game-high 30 points and added 14 rebounds as the Roaring Lions (9-7, 8-1) beat visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday in a PSUAC game. Caitlin Wontroba scored 13, and Kaitlyn Novak added 11 points.
Tiffany Denny-Roches led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (5-13, 2-9) with 18 points. Tiaira Brathwaite and Jalicia Robinson each scored 15 points. Brathwaite added 10 rebounds.
Penn State Fayette 75, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — James Pratt and Brandon Cunningham each scored 22 points to lead the Roaring Lions (9-11, 8-4) to a PSUAC win over visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday. Pratt also finished with 10 rebounds. Ryan Hart scored 13 points.
Denzel Mensah led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (7-14, 5-8) with 13 points. Drew Walker scored 11 points, and Keith Johnson had 10 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Pitt holds off Virginia Tech in ACC opener
- More employers adopt generous leave policies
- Game Commission to direct hunters to deer
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases