Local roundup: Connellsville boys basketball team's win streak snapped
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jim Leichliter scored 13 points, but the Connellsville boys basketball team dropped a 57-41 decision to host Hempfield in Section 1-AAAA action Saturday. Trent Bauer scored 11 points for the Falcons (6-12, 2-6). The loss snapped a four-game win streak for Connellsville.
Kasen Harrell led all scorers with 24 points for the Spartans (14-4, 7-2). Mike Nauman scored 12 points.
Derry 55, Mt. Pleasant 49 — Andy Panizzi scored a game-high 27 points as the Trojans (9-7, 5-4) rallied from a 17-5 first-quarter deficit to earn a Section 3-AAA win at home on Saturday. Matt Vasinko scored 10 points.
Ryan Gumbita led the Vikings (8-8, 4-4) with 15 points, and Cody Monroe tossed in 10.
Thomas Subaru Tournament — Six Mt. Pleasant wrestlers earned medals at the Thomas Subaru Tournament in Bedford on Saturday. Justin Overly (182 pounds) took third place, and Mike Novak (120) finished fourth. Bobby Long (152) was fifth, and Austin Mears (145) was sixth. Eli Holt (195) and Ethan Charlesworth (160) each scored an eighth-place finish.
Penn State Fayette 76, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — Kasey Ruble scored a game-high 30 points and added 14 rebounds as the Roaring Lions (9-7, 8-1) beat visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday in a PSUAC game. Caitlin Wontroba scored 13, and Kaitlyn Novak added 11 points.
Tiffany Denny-Roches led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (5-13, 2-9) with 18 points. Tiaira Brathwaite and Jalicia Robinson each scored 15 points. Brathwaite added 10 rebounds.
Penn State Fayette 75, Penn State Wilkes-Barre 57 — James Pratt and Brandon Cunningham each scored 22 points to lead the Roaring Lions (9-11, 8-4) to a PSUAC win over visiting Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday. Pratt also finished with 10 rebounds. Ryan Hart scored 13 points.
Denzel Mensah led Penn State Wilkes-Barre (7-14, 5-8) with 13 points. Drew Walker scored 11 points, and Keith Johnson had 10 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Wardens on the prowl for unlicensed dogs in Armstrong this week
- Former Pa. Gov. Corbett: From pension critic to collector
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack
- Ohio governor Kasich, a McKees Rocks native, considers presidential run
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Lenape students work on Habitat house in Kittanning
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Body pulled from river in Charleroi
- Mon-Yough Tuesday takes
- Five is enough for Penguins’ defensemen