Penn Hills tops Plum in WPIBL competition
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity boys bowling team tasted defeat for the first time last week with a 7-0 loss at the hands of Penn Hills at Nesbit's Lanes in Plum.
Plum and Penn Hills share the same house, and the match was contested on Penn Hills' lanes.
Junior Dan Yushinski paced the Mustangs with a 656 series, includng a 244 in game one and a 217 in game two.
Senior Matt Kosmack added a 639 series, with games of 221, 223 and 195.
Rounding out the varsity five for Plum were junior Josh Kirchartz (554 series) and seniors Zach Matthews (547) and Dalton Novak (546).
Plum and Penn Hills both stood at 5-1 in the Northeast section after the match.
“It was Penn Hills' day,” Plum assistant coach Jerry Yushinski said.
“We were bowling well, but weren't scoring well. Penn Hills had four guys in the 600s. That's tough to beat.”
The Plum girls lost to Penn Hills, 7-0, and the Mustangs fell to 4-2, one game behind both the Indians and Gateway in the Northeast.
Senior Jocelyn Rubash rolled a 570 series (196-181-193) to lead Plum, while freshman Allie Dick (549), senior Alexa Nicholas (532), senior Heather Kosmack (463) and freshman Talia Pilyih (452) also scored for the Mustangs.
“The girls bowled well, but like the guys, we were getting no breaks,” coach Yushinski said.
Several junior varsity bowlers, coach Yushinski said, had strong efforts against Penn Hills.
Freshman Bryanne Woods rolled games of 144, 166 and 172, while sophomore Bethany LaBertew had games of 171, 151 and 162.
Sophomore Josh Mallick bowled a 185, a 156 and a 172, while freshman Josh Christman scored a 181, a 192 and a 155.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412- 388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Wiz Khalifa’s life not the same, but he’s still having fun
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building
- U.S. Steel looks to expand its Research & Technology Center in Munhall
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Pittsburgh braces for waves of demonstrations, marches on EPA rules