Local roundup: Connellsville girls topple Latrobe
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite trailing, 29-26, at the half, the Connellsville girls basketball team rallied for a 48-42 win over host Latrobe in a Section 1-AAAA game on Thursday. Saiah Mickens and Ashton Grimm led the Falcons (7-13, 2-10) with 13 points apiece. Marissa Matesic added 11 points.
Madison Kollar led all scorers with 19 points for the Wildcats (9-9, 6-6).
Uniontown 67, Southmoreland 21 — Danasha Harris scored a game-high 19 points to lead the Red Raiders (15-2, 9-1) to a Section 3-AAA win over visiting Southmoreland. Alyssa Machesky and Lydya Dennis each scored 13 points.
Bethany Siebert led the Scotties (3-18, 0-11) with eight points.
Greensburg Salem 64, Mt. Pleasant 51 — Jayne Oberdorf scored 22 points and Claire Oberdorf added 19 as the Golden Lions (14-5, 9-1) beat visiting Mt. Pleasant in Section 3-AAA. Karly Mellinger notched 14 points.
Alexa Szelong paced the Vikings (9-10, 5-5) with 19 points. Casey Zelenak scored 10 points and Elaina Fearer nine.
Hempfield vs. Connellsville — Connellsville was swept in a Section 1-AAA meet at Hempfield.
In the girls race, Rachel Barczyk, Sierra Emert, Leah Lilley and Alyson Urie won the 400 freestyle relay (4:04.69), but Connellsville lost, 95-87. Barczyk took the top spot in the 100 butterfly (1:06.69) and finished second in the 200 freestyle (2:06.45). Emert won the 100 freestyle (1:01.68) and Bayle Shreve was the top swimmer in the 100 backstroke (1:09.21). Urie placed second in the 500 freestyle (5:47.34) and the 200 individual medley (2:28.67).
In the boys meet, Jimmy Manges, Dan Starr, Collin Mastowski and Shane Beneke finished second in the 200 freestyle relay (1:44.79), but the Falcons fell, 93.5-69.5. Beneke took second in the 100 breaststroke (1:10.62).
Ford City 13, Frazier 0 — Jesse Valasek scored three goals and added four assists as Ford City (12-2-1) defeated host Frazier in PIHL Open Division action. Chance McClaine made six saves to get the win in goal.
Noah Santo stopped 37 shots for the Commodores (3-13).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Carnegie Mellon University picks architect for business school