High school roundup: Jaczesko scores 37 in Deer Lakes victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two days ago, Deer Lakes' student section had its “Super Hero Night.”
On Wednesday night, the Lancers had a super hero on the road.
Tim Jaczesko scored 37 points, including a 10-for-13 effort from the foul line in the fourth quarter, to power the Lancers to their sixth straight win, 71-66 over Summit Academy in Section 1-AA.
First-place Deer Lakes (12-5, 7-1) was outscored, 16-9, in the third quarter but rallied for 24 points in the final period.
Dashann Smith led the scoring for Summit Academy (5-13, 2-7) with 20 points.
Kittanning 65, Valley 33 — Kittanning (14-3, 7-3) broke open a close Section 1-AAA contest by outscoring Valley, 22-4, in the second quarter and clinched a WPIAL playoff spot. Vince Mead led the Wildcats with 14 points, Noah Kunst followed with 13, and Alek Schaffer and Sterling Henry added 12 and 10, respectively.
Tyler Gardlock finished with 19 points for Valley (3-14, 1-9).
Freeport 57, Ford City 48 — Brendan Lynch scored 14 of his game-high 29 points in the fourth quarter for Freeport (8-7), which trailed, 36-31, through three quarters in the nonsection game.
David Lattanzio led Ford City (4-14) with 21 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 14.
Hampton 59, Knoch 39 — Hampton used an 18-4 third quarter to pull ahead of Knoch (10-8) and cruise to a nonsection victory. Ryan Luther and Cullen Luther had 14 points each for Hampton (16-3).
Austin Miller scored 13, and Marc Vaughan added 10 for Knoch.
Serra Catholic 53, Springdale 49 — Springdale's (2-13, 0-8) Charlie Guy scored a team-high 29 points in a Section 3-AA loss to Serra Catholic (13-4, 6-3).
Burrell 51, St. Joseph 14 — Class A St. Joseph (9-9) never managed more than six points in a quarter and scored only two in the second half as Burrell (14-2) dominated the nonsection game.
Sydney Bordonaro scored 21 points, and Jaila Manga chipped in 10 for Burrell.
Apollo-Ridge 56, Neighborhood Academy 28 — Ashley Emminger scored 11 points, and Julia Demeno and Rachael Moore each added 10 for Apollo-Ridge (10-8) in the nonsection win.
Kittanning falls — For the third time in four seasons, Kittanning made a quarterfinal-round exit in the WPIAL Class AA team wrestling tournament.
The No. 6 seed Wildcats (12-5), hampered by injuries, advanced out of the first round with a 41-24 win over No. 11 West Greene and then lost, 50-22, to No. 3 Jefferson-Morgan (11-4) at Jefferson-Morgan High School.
Burgettstown 48, Valley 27 — Terrell Fields picked up a pin at 195 pounds, but Valley (10-11) fell in the first round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs at South Fayette.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville Area High School’s marching band to play national anthem at PNC Park
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- 17 years later, late Frazier superintendent’s vision of new school nearly a reality
- New Kensington-Arnold School District officials to discuss anti-bullying proposals
- Engineer advises Springdale Borough that other water plant options cost ‘significantly’ less
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Google rejects European Union antitrust charges over search results
- Plum grad McGough realizes dream, unfazed by demotion to minors
- Apollo fountain to return
- Nonprofit hospital titan UPMC’s income eclipses record
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension