High school notebook: Hoops teams posting strong records
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Put the needle on the records.
Glance at the WPIAL basketball standings and one thing is clear: local teams aren't losing much. Well, at least a select group of them aren't.
Credit weak opponents or talented teams — whatever the case — there has been a healthy dose of strong records, and the trend has continued deep into the season. In all, 10 A-K teams have 12 or more wins.
The top local boys' records belong to Kittanning (14-3), Kiski Area (14-4), Fox Chapel (14-4), Deer Lakes (13-5), Apollo-Ridge (12-5) and Burrell (12-6). The top girls' marks are Deer Lakes (15-2), Burrell (15-2), Fox Chapel (14-4) and Plum (13-4).
Several local senior basketball players have accomplished or are nearing the 1,000-point milestone, but a junior could also could get there this season.
Plum's Krista Pietropola, a three-year starter, has amassed 870 points. Plum has five regular-season games left, plus any playoff games.
Kiski Area's girls swimming team not only defeated friendly-rival Burrell, 101-73, on Tuesday night, but got a record-breaking effort from one of its relay teams.
The 200-yard freestyle foursome of Megan Paullet, Mariah Singerman, Letizia Collini and Paris Krug posted a time of 1:42.60
The previous record of 1:44.53 was set in 1999. The swimmers on that relay were Cara Castelli, Jessica Mohamed, Abby Leslie and Shannon Kelly.
The Westmoreland County Coaches Association Swimming and Diving Championships will begin Friday at Derry High School. Diving will be Friday and swimming events on Saturday.
Local teams in the 17-team field include Burrell, Kiski Area and Valley.
Leechburg's “Blackout Night” to raise funds for the Sammie Smith Scholarship Fund will be Friday night at Leechburg when the Blue Devils' boys basketball team hosts Imani Christian.
Fans can purchase black T-shirts, with proceeds benefitting the fund. Smith, a former basketball player, was killed in a car accident in 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Flooded out of Big Easy, veterinarian builds new life in Lawrenceville
- ‘Banshee’ props, inventory up for sale
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Arnold bakery reopens at is new ‘old’ location
- ATI picket injured at Harrison mill