High school notebook: Hoops teams posting strong records
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Put the needle on the records.
Glance at the WPIAL basketball standings and one thing is clear: local teams aren't losing much. Well, at least a select group of them aren't.
Credit weak opponents or talented teams — whatever the case — there has been a healthy dose of strong records, and the trend has continued deep into the season. In all, 10 A-K teams have 12 or more wins.
The top local boys' records belong to Kittanning (14-3), Kiski Area (14-4), Fox Chapel (14-4), Deer Lakes (13-5), Apollo-Ridge (12-5) and Burrell (12-6). The top girls' marks are Deer Lakes (15-2), Burrell (15-2), Fox Chapel (14-4) and Plum (13-4).
Several local senior basketball players have accomplished or are nearing the 1,000-point milestone, but a junior could also could get there this season.
Plum's Krista Pietropola, a three-year starter, has amassed 870 points. Plum has five regular-season games left, plus any playoff games.
Kiski Area's girls swimming team not only defeated friendly-rival Burrell, 101-73, on Tuesday night, but got a record-breaking effort from one of its relay teams.
The 200-yard freestyle foursome of Megan Paullet, Mariah Singerman, Letizia Collini and Paris Krug posted a time of 1:42.60
The previous record of 1:44.53 was set in 1999. The swimmers on that relay were Cara Castelli, Jessica Mohamed, Abby Leslie and Shannon Kelly.
The Westmoreland County Coaches Association Swimming and Diving Championships will begin Friday at Derry High School. Diving will be Friday and swimming events on Saturday.
Local teams in the 17-team field include Burrell, Kiski Area and Valley.
Leechburg's “Blackout Night” to raise funds for the Sammie Smith Scholarship Fund will be Friday night at Leechburg when the Blue Devils' boys basketball team hosts Imani Christian.
Fans can purchase black T-shirts, with proceeds benefitting the fund. Smith, a former basketball player, was killed in a car accident in 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates fall short in bid for Lester, who’s traded to Oakland
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pa. senator investigates Rocky Mountain high at taxpayers’ expense
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- It’s lights out for Bayer sign on Mt. Washington
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Elderly funeral home director gets up to 12 years for murder
- Leechburg bank robbed
- Oakland eatery Fuel & Fuddle to reopen under new owners