High school notebook: Hoops teams posting strong records
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Put the needle on the records.
Glance at the WPIAL basketball standings and one thing is clear: local teams aren't losing much. Well, at least a select group of them aren't.
Credit weak opponents or talented teams — whatever the case — there has been a healthy dose of strong records, and the trend has continued deep into the season. In all, 10 A-K teams have 12 or more wins.
The top local boys' records belong to Kittanning (14-3), Kiski Area (14-4), Fox Chapel (14-4), Deer Lakes (13-5), Apollo-Ridge (12-5) and Burrell (12-6). The top girls' marks are Deer Lakes (15-2), Burrell (15-2), Fox Chapel (14-4) and Plum (13-4).
Several local senior basketball players have accomplished or are nearing the 1,000-point milestone, but a junior could also could get there this season.
Plum's Krista Pietropola, a three-year starter, has amassed 870 points. Plum has five regular-season games left, plus any playoff games.
Kiski Area's girls swimming team not only defeated friendly-rival Burrell, 101-73, on Tuesday night, but got a record-breaking effort from one of its relay teams.
The 200-yard freestyle foursome of Megan Paullet, Mariah Singerman, Letizia Collini and Paris Krug posted a time of 1:42.60
The previous record of 1:44.53 was set in 1999. The swimmers on that relay were Cara Castelli, Jessica Mohamed, Abby Leslie and Shannon Kelly.
The Westmoreland County Coaches Association Swimming and Diving Championships will begin Friday at Derry High School. Diving will be Friday and swimming events on Saturday.
Local teams in the 17-team field include Burrell, Kiski Area and Valley.
Leechburg's “Blackout Night” to raise funds for the Sammie Smith Scholarship Fund will be Friday night at Leechburg when the Blue Devils' boys basketball team hosts Imani Christian.
Fans can purchase black T-shirts, with proceeds benefitting the fund. Smith, a former basketball player, was killed in a car accident in 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bilingual books open Whitehall students to their culture
- Nonprofits offer help with Pittsburgh pension problems, Peduto says
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- N. Charleroi mom on probation charged again
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Wolf’s Pa. budget plan seen as having almost no chance
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- New ministry could call Blawnox home
- Angry fans cited in shortage of refs in Western Pennsylvania
- Dermatologist led UPMC residency program