Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes: St. Joseph's Holly Stein, Plum's Andrew Walters
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: St. Joseph
Report card: The senior standout will compete in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard breaststroke in the WPIAL postseason. She also has qualified in the 50, 100, 200 and 500 freestyle.
You swim independently at Valley's meets. What's it like going to meets not being a part of a team?
It's like you have no reason to be there, but at the same time you compete for yourself.
You narrowly missed a first-place finish last year at WPIALs in the 100 breaststroke. How bad do you want to get back there and compete?
Pretty bad. I wanted that title really bad. I was winning the race until the last lap last year. I worked a lot harder this year. I'm looking for something good.
Fellow swimmer Sabrina Bowman has had success this year as well. How has that helped you with your game?
It's nice to have someone else there to help you during competition. It gives you more motivation to do well.
Report card: Walters is averaging 2.81 points per game for the Mustangs this season. He leads the team in points with 45 (24 goals, 21 assists).
What are some of the reasons for your individual success this year?
Recently I had to pick up the pace. I've had 10 points in the last two games. Someone has to take the role of scoring points, and I did it last year. I'm just keeping it up this year.
Plum (7-8-1) beat a strong Erie Cathedral Prep (10-4) team, 6-1, on Jan. 28. What does a win like that do for the team?
It's huge. We have kids that might not be as serious as some of the more experienced kids. We were rolling in three lines that whole game. For everyone to feel a part of that win is huge.
— Dave Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- Ferrante murder trial heads into day 6 with testimony on cyanide, Web searches
- Kiski Valley-based ring charged with hundreds of thefts over 10 communities
- Malala donates prize money to rebuild Gaza school
- Greensburg torture killer seeks reduction in sentence
- Pa. grants & tax credits: Two messes involving taxpayer underwriting of the movie industry demand a thorough investigation