Local roundup: Uniontown girls clinch 3-AAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Lydya Dennis scored 13 points as the Uniontown girls basketball team clinched the Section 3-AAA title with a 44-41 win over visiting Indiana on Thursday. Danasha Harris scored 11 points for the Red Raiders (17-2, 11-1).
Kaitlyn Hoff scored 16 points, and Audrey Stapleton added 12 points for Indiana (14-7, 9-3).
Albert Gallatin 38, Connellsville 29 — Diamond Madison and Taylor Spence each scored 12 points as the Colonials (10-11, 6-8) defeated the visiting Falcons (8-14, 3-11) in Section 1-AAAA. Albert Gallatin's win coupled with Latrobe's loss to Hempfield allowed the Colonials to qualify for the WPIAL Class AAAA playoffs for the first time in 10 years. This was the final game of the season for Connellsville.
Serra 60, Frazier 19 — Lindsay Muscher scored 14 points, and Danielle Dindak tallied 12 points as Serra Catholic (18-2, 10-0) beat host Frazier in Section 4-A. The Commodores (9-11, 4-6) can still qualify for the WPIAL Class A playoffs if Monessen beats Clairton on Saturday.
Winchester Thurston 83, Geibel 25 — Shala Barney scored 24 points, and Lexi Lonero added 21 points as Winchester Thurston (11-8, 6-4) beat visiting Geibel in Section 4-A. Brytney Humphries scored 14 points.
Peyton McIntyre scored 10 points in the season finale for the Gators (3-19, 0-10).
Ringgold 6, Frazier 2 — Jesse Benning, Michael Hazel, Justin Beam and Jared Kramer each had a goal and an assist as the Rams (3-15) beat host Frazier in a PIHL Open Class contest. Ben Cafeo made 18 saves to pick up the victory.
Cullen McGinnis and Alec Sharp each scored a goal for the Commodores (3-14). Jacob Boucher and Robert McClure each had an assist. Noah Santo made 28 saves.
Greensburg Salem 19, Connellsville 0 — Cody Austad scored four goals and added three assists as the Golden Lions (12-4-1) beat visiting Connellsville in a PIHL Open Class game. Dakota Sheetz stopped 10 shots to earn the win.
Thomas Clark made 63 saves in goal for the Falcons (0-15).
Boys freshman basketball
Connellsville 50, Charleroi 30 — Colby Shipley scored 13 points, and Duston Wiggins scored six points as the Falcons (8-7) beat visiting Charleroi. Corey Fogle and Tyler Evans each scored five points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Injured DT Render missing from Pitt depth chart
- Vintage drive-in theaters’ prices, upgrades still draw in Western Pa.
- White lion Prince dies at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort
- Derry Township man killed in ATV crash
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Animal welfare groups see opportunities in dialogue about Vick signing