Plum rifle team qualifies for playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity rifle team won two big matches last week — upending Butler and Hempfield — and the victories put the Mustangs in the WPIAL team playoffs, set for Tuesday at the Dormont/Mt. Lebanon Sportsmans Club in Canonsburg.
Plum picked up its win against section leader Hempfield on Thursday by recording one of the best scores in the WPIAL this season and one of the top results in the history of the Plum rifle program.
The Mustangs scored an 800-70x.
All eight Plum shooters hit the innermost ring on the target — worth 10 points — with all 10 of their shots.
The group nailed the bulls-eye 70 times.
The Mustangs needed every point and bulls-eye, as Hempfield scored an 800-69x.
Senior Jake Danik and juniors Josh Repasi and Ian Michaels tallied perfect 100-10x scores, while junior Melissa LeClair added a 100-9x.
Rounding out the varsity scorers for Plum were senior Scott Kolar (100-8x) and juniors Anastasia Klonowski (100-8x), Rebecca Hall (100-8x) and Mikaela Zacher (100-7x).
The win was the first for Plum over Hempfield in four meetings this season.
The Mustangs closed out their regular season Tuesday against Indiana.
The match was to be contested past the deadline for this week's edition.
Five Plum shooters also will take part in the WPIAL individual championships on Feb. 14, and it also will be at the Dormont/Mt. Lebanon Sportsmans Club.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Penguins acquire Blues forward Lapierre for Goc
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Wilkinsburg man killed in his apartment
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech
- Mt. Lebanon awaits Pennsylvania Game Commission approval to corral, kill deer
- Chartiers Valley displays shooting touch in blowout win over USC
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Abuse-of-power case against Perry to proceed