Local roundup: No. 2 Burrell girls rout Mt. Pleasant
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freshman forward Natalie Myers scored a game-high 19 points, and Burrell put up 23 points in the second quarter on the way to a 58-42 victory over Mt. Pleasant on Saturday in the Westmoreland County Hoopfest, a showcase event at Greensburg Central Catholic.
The victory caps a 20-2 regular season for Burrell, ranked No. 2 in Class AA by Trib Total Media.
Jessica Cercone, returned from an injury, added 13 points, and Sydney Bordonaro had 12 for Burrell, fresh off its first section title since 2009.
Elaina Fearer had 14 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (10-12), a Class AAA playoff team.
Deer Lakes 43, Quaker Valley 40 — Deer Lakes (18-3) continued to build momentum heading into the WPIAL Class AA playoffs with a victory over a Class AAA playoff qualifier Quaker Valley (13-8).
The fifth-ranked Lancers overcame a 25-20 halftime deficit to win for the seventh time in eight games. Quaker Valley managed just 15 points in the second half.
Becca Babincak led Deer Lakes with 15 points, and Christina Grzybek added 14.
Sierra Perlik scored a game-high 28 for the Quakers.
Harvest Baptist 55, Cheswick Christian Academy 49 — Jeremiah Gillespie scored a game-high 17 points for Harvest Baptist (11-0) in a nonconference win over Cheswick Christian Academy. The loss snaps an 11-game winning streak for the Chargers (16-6). Tyler Knupp and Ian Swartz scored 11 points apiece for Cheswick Christian Academy.
GymnasticsBatiz sisters shine
Ford City senior Courtney Batiz won the floor exercise and took home a gold medal with a score of 9.6 at the WPIAL Gymnastics Championships at Moon.
Batiz also won a silver on bars (9.525) in the Diamond Division.
Her sister, Gina, a freshman at Ford City, won a silver medal in vault (9.1) and took fourth all-around in the Silver Division.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Penguins rebound with shutout of Predators
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Pa. Supreme Court in ‘sad state’ as scandals tarnish reputation
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Penn State players regroup amid losing streak
- Corbett vows to protect coal industry at Armstrong County rally