Local roundup: No. 2 Burrell girls rout Mt. Pleasant
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freshman forward Natalie Myers scored a game-high 19 points, and Burrell put up 23 points in the second quarter on the way to a 58-42 victory over Mt. Pleasant on Saturday in the Westmoreland County Hoopfest, a showcase event at Greensburg Central Catholic.
The victory caps a 20-2 regular season for Burrell, ranked No. 2 in Class AA by Trib Total Media.
Jessica Cercone, returned from an injury, added 13 points, and Sydney Bordonaro had 12 for Burrell, fresh off its first section title since 2009.
Elaina Fearer had 14 points to lead Mt. Pleasant (10-12), a Class AAA playoff team.
Deer Lakes 43, Quaker Valley 40 — Deer Lakes (18-3) continued to build momentum heading into the WPIAL Class AA playoffs with a victory over a Class AAA playoff qualifier Quaker Valley (13-8).
The fifth-ranked Lancers overcame a 25-20 halftime deficit to win for the seventh time in eight games. Quaker Valley managed just 15 points in the second half.
Becca Babincak led Deer Lakes with 15 points, and Christina Grzybek added 14.
Sierra Perlik scored a game-high 28 for the Quakers.
Harvest Baptist 55, Cheswick Christian Academy 49 — Jeremiah Gillespie scored a game-high 17 points for Harvest Baptist (11-0) in a nonconference win over Cheswick Christian Academy. The loss snaps an 11-game winning streak for the Chargers (16-6). Tyler Knupp and Ian Swartz scored 11 points apiece for Cheswick Christian Academy.
GymnasticsBatiz sisters shine
Ford City senior Courtney Batiz won the floor exercise and took home a gold medal with a score of 9.6 at the WPIAL Gymnastics Championships at Moon.
Batiz also won a silver on bars (9.525) in the Diamond Division.
Her sister, Gina, a freshman at Ford City, won a silver medal in vault (9.1) and took fourth all-around in the Silver Division.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Student suicide brings issue of bullying to fore in New Kensington-Arnold
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins’ competition among bottom six
- Harrison mom, boyfriend charged in abuse of young boys
- Drivers survive head-on crash on Route 356 in Allegheny Township
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Apollo targets owners who fail to maintain vacant properties
- Snow sculptors have a ball with Iceburgh, Einstein
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Charges dropped in dad’s stabbing
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson