High school roundup: Freeport girls lose in WPIAL Class AAA playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport started slow and couldn't recover Saturday afternoon as the Yellowjackets fell, 61-35, to South Fayette in a WPIAL Class AAA preliminary-round playoff game at North Allegheny.
South Fayette (15-7) moved into the first round and will play No. 4 seed Central Valley (17-4) on Wednesday.
Senior Jess Aulicino led Freeport (8-13) with a game-high 20 points. No other Freeport player scored more than five points.
“I thought we matched South Fayette's intensity well, but at times, we needed someone to help step up with scoring,” Freeport coach Paul Sylba said. “I'm very proud of our kids with how they stayed intense the whole game and their effort all season.”
Caitlyn McLuckie and Shannon Gillespie led South Fayette with 12 points apiece.
West Mifflin 61, Kittanning 41 — West Mifflin (9-12) cruised past Kittanning (9-13) in a Class AAA preliminary-round game at Highlands.
West Mifflin used a 20-6 third quarter to take control and move into the first round, where it will face No. 1 seed Blackhawk (22-0) on Wednesday.
Taylor Thomas scored 23 points, and Paige Flore chipped in 10 for the Titans.
Alaina Thomas had a team-high 14 points for the Wildcats.
Indoor track and field
Fox Chapel junior Ethan Martin edged his twin brother, Colin, to win the 3,000-meter run at the Tri-State Track Coaches Association Indoor Championships at Edinboro University.
Ethan ran a time of 8:47.67 to get past Colin (8:51.43).
Kiski Area's girls team of Tatiana Cloud, Lauren Smeltzer, Morgan Kiebler and Megan Aller took second in the open distance run (13:03.10). Mt. Lebanon was first (12:49.35).
Ford City's Courtney Batiz placed third all-around with a score of 37.458 at the PA Classic at Moon.
The event is the state meet for WPIAL gymnasts.
Batiz placed first on floor and second on bars.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Phone calls about unpaid taxes are scams
- Former South Allegheny school director named to Glassport council
- West Mifflin council adopts tenant ordinance
- Dravosburg supports regional land bank plan
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Tobacco growers forced to find profits as buyout checks end in October
- A Griffins great: Seton Hill soccer team supports 7-year-old honorary member
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Colleges in Western Pa. to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel