Moon eclipses gymnastics field at Pennsylvania Classic
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Moon capped gymnastics championship season in style Saturday night by winning the Pennsylvania Classic for the second time at Moon Middle School.
The Tigers, who won the WPIAL championship last weekend, finished with a score of 146.705 to win the sport's state title.
“We won districts, WPIALs and states, so obviously that meant a lot to the seniors,” Moon coach Amy Caprino said. “We are thrilled for them. For all other kind of circumstances that where heavy around here we had a very nice day, and I am so proud of my girls. They just behave. They carry themselves like young ladies.”
Baldwin, the only other team competing in the gold division, took second, with 139.634.
Moon senior Sarah Haslett, competing in high school gymnastics for the first time, took second in the diamond division with 37.600. Freshman Leah Hogle also scored high for the Tigers, taking first in the gold division, 35.700.
Kelly Burak remained the diamond division overall champion for the third year in a row with a 38.500 all-around score.
— Brittany Goncar
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man charged with playing doctor for free Nemacolin stay
- Game Commission enters battle between hunters, Penn Hills residents
- Tree decorating set in Glen Osborne, other events planned
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Life-skills classroom could keep special-education students in Plum
- Sewickley taxes going up
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- Snow expected to taper off in Pittsburgh by mid-afternoon
- 12-year-old rescues 4-year-old from burning house in Homestead
- North Hills native survives another week on ‘The Voice’