Moon eclipses gymnastics field at Pennsylvania Classic
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Moon capped gymnastics championship season in style Saturday night by winning the Pennsylvania Classic for the second time at Moon Middle School.
The Tigers, who won the WPIAL championship last weekend, finished with a score of 146.705 to win the sport's state title.
“We won districts, WPIALs and states, so obviously that meant a lot to the seniors,” Moon coach Amy Caprino said. “We are thrilled for them. For all other kind of circumstances that where heavy around here we had a very nice day, and I am so proud of my girls. They just behave. They carry themselves like young ladies.”
Baldwin, the only other team competing in the gold division, took second, with 139.634.
Moon senior Sarah Haslett, competing in high school gymnastics for the first time, took second in the diamond division with 37.600. Freshman Leah Hogle also scored high for the Tigers, taking first in the gold division, 35.700.
Kelly Burak remained the diamond division overall champion for the third year in a row with a 38.500 all-around score.
— Brittany Goncar
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
- Man sentenced in meth smuggling scheme
- Spring Hill woman sentenced to jail for stealing, euthanizing neighbor’s dog
- Earl Lloyd, 1st black player in NBA, dies at 86
- Charleroi man accused of improper sexual contact with teen
- Leonard Nimoy, world famous as Mr. Spock on ‘Star Trek’, dies
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins competition among bottom six
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates