Moon eclipses gymnastics field at Pennsylvania Classic
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Moon capped gymnastics championship season in style Saturday night by winning the Pennsylvania Classic for the second time at Moon Middle School.
The Tigers, who won the WPIAL championship last weekend, finished with a score of 146.705 to win the sport's state title.
“We won districts, WPIALs and states, so obviously that meant a lot to the seniors,” Moon coach Amy Caprino said. “We are thrilled for them. For all other kind of circumstances that where heavy around here we had a very nice day, and I am so proud of my girls. They just behave. They carry themselves like young ladies.”
Baldwin, the only other team competing in the gold division, took second, with 139.634.
Moon senior Sarah Haslett, competing in high school gymnastics for the first time, took second in the diamond division with 37.600. Freshman Leah Hogle also scored high for the Tigers, taking first in the gold division, 35.700.
Kelly Burak remained the diamond division overall champion for the third year in a row with a 38.500 all-around score.
— Brittany Goncar
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCord to plead guilty to federal charges from campaign fundraising
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals
- Pittsburgh mayor denies ethics investigation into his ‘Undercover Boss’ performance
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Sale of Deflategate chocolate football nets $20K for charity
- Crash closes Pittsburgh Street in Springdale
- Police say couple in Oakland murder-suicide had ‘troubled’ relationship
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Charge dropped against former Steeler Blount after community service
- 5-year-old boy needed for ‘Let It Snow’ role