Moon eclipses gymnastics field at Pennsylvania Classic
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013, 10:33 p.m.
Moon capped gymnastics championship season in style Saturday night by winning the Pennsylvania Classic for the second time at Moon Middle School.
The Tigers, who won the WPIAL championship last weekend, finished with a score of 146.705 to win the sport's state title.
“We won districts, WPIALs and states, so obviously that meant a lot to the seniors,” Moon coach Amy Caprino said. “We are thrilled for them. For all other kind of circumstances that where heavy around here we had a very nice day, and I am so proud of my girls. They just behave. They carry themselves like young ladies.”
Baldwin, the only other team competing in the gold division, took second, with 139.634.
Moon senior Sarah Haslett, competing in high school gymnastics for the first time, took second in the diamond division with 37.600. Freshman Leah Hogle also scored high for the Tigers, taking first in the gold division, 35.700.
Kelly Burak remained the diamond division overall champion for the third year in a row with a 38.500 all-around score.
— Brittany Goncar
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Allegheny counselors receive national recognition
- Undersized rookie Gibbons is blur on ice for Penguins
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates
- Murrysville woman sues Giant Eagle over burns
- Officials in North Versailles fed up littering
- Kovacevic: Panic over Pirates? In April?
- Work on tournament-class dek hockey rink in Bloomfield to begin
- Pens insider: Penalty killing a concern in Stanley Cup playoffs
- LaBar: The best end to Undertaker’s career
- Graziani hired away from Latrobe as Penn Township’s manager
- Marion promotes autism awareness