Local roundup: Southmoreland wrestlers quickly advance to semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Southmoreland sophomore Austin Griffiths and freshman Jacob Beistel didn't spend a lot of time on the mat Friday night at the WPIAL Class AA individual wrestling tournament at Chartiers Valley. The top seed at 106 pounds, Griffiths had a first-round bye and then pinned Burrell's Jason Roberts in 26 seconds in the quarterfinals to earn a spot in Saturday's WPIAL semifinals, which get under way at 11 a.m. The finals will start about 7 p.m.
Beistel, who was seeded first at heavyweight, pinned Burgettstown's Jimmy Reedy in 27 seconds in his quarterfinal bout.
They were the only two Southmoreland wrestlers to advance to the semifinals.
Mt. Pleasant advanced five to the semifinals. Mike Novak advanced at 120 pounds with a 4-3 win over South Fayette's Mike Carr; Austin Mears scored a 12-0 decision in the first round and 15-6 win over Keystone Oaks' Drew Trybus in the 145-pound quarterfinals; Justin Overly scored two pins at 182, including winning in 1:16 over South Side Beaver's Jordan Herder in the quarterfinals; Eli Holt, who picked up a 9-1 win over South Allegheny's Seth Hitchens at 195 pounds; and Josh Lind, who had two pins at 220 pounds.
Mars 79, Uniontown 55 — Josh Goetz had 22 points to lead No. 2 Mars (21-3) to a WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinal-round victory at Baldwin. Mitch Buzard and Owen Nearhoof added 18 and 16 points, respectively, for the Planets, who will play Montour in the semifinals. Jordan Pratt had 19 points to lead Uniontown (17-4).
Carrick 8, Connellsville 1 — Jonathan Herchko scored an unassisted goal late in the third period to break up a shutout, but Connellsville fell short in an Open Class game. Daren Grudowski and Geno Oliverio each scored twice for Carrick.
Greensburg Salem 10, Frazier 0 — The Lions rolled past Frazier in an Open Class game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on canceling playoff game
- Steelers players are ready for annual runway turn for charity
- Former Penn State assistant coach Johnson just visiting this time
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Freeport volleyball team fights another foe — complacency
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Statewide hunters numbers following that of pheasants
- NFL notebook: Harvin ‘happy’ to be with Jets
- Coping with Kids: New pacifiers helps soothe babies day and night