Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes: Apollo-Ridge's Connor Billingsley, Plum's Melissa LeClair
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: The forward ranks second on the team in playoff scoring at 13.3 points per game. Upstart Apollo-Ridge faces top-seeded Beaver Falls Wednesday in the WPIAL Class AA semifinals. The Vikings haven't been this far since 1988.
What is the mood around the team?
We've been working really hard for the past couple weeks. Everyone is coming together at the right time. It's just been really good.
How impressed are you with your team's success?
I'm kind of impressed. We all expected to be pretty good. In the middle of the season we lost our momentum. We found it at the right times.
What's it like with an identical twin on the same team?
Cody and I are the only big guys on the team. It's just awesome having a brother on the team, having someone to talk to about the game. We're all like brothers on the team, anyway.
Who's better looking: you or your brother?
I'm obviously better looking.
— Dave Yohe
Report card: LeClair placed fourth at the WPIAL Class AA championship and 14th in the state championship. She also helped Plum take second in Section 3 and sixth in the WPIAL. The Mustangs had not qualified for the WPIAL finals since 1995.
What was it like being at states?
I was really excited. I just wanted to go and see how I did because it was my first time. I was happy with how I did.
The team had a lot of success this year. Did you envision this?
I definitely did not, especially at the beginning of the year. We lost some seniors from last year. The season was better than I thought it would be.
What made you want to join the rifle team?
My freshman year I wanted to do something different. Some of my friends were doing it and I turned out to be good at it.
Do you play any other sports at Plum?
I've been playing softball for 10 years. I've been on the team since my freshman year.
What are you looking forward to during your senior year?
Just finally graduating high school. I also want to have a good year in rifle. I also want to have my best season in softball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Karns City soccer teams advance
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Leader Times Q&A: Redbank Valley’s Wyatt Hetrick
- Central Valley girls win 3rd straight PIAA golf title
- The Leader eager for Kittanning finale
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- Roundup: EPA says mileage inflated on 4 Mini Cooper models; Google unveils app for managing Gmail inboxes; more