Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes: Apollo-Ridge's Connor Billingsley, Plum's Melissa LeClair
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Report card: The forward ranks second on the team in playoff scoring at 13.3 points per game. Upstart Apollo-Ridge faces top-seeded Beaver Falls Wednesday in the WPIAL Class AA semifinals. The Vikings haven't been this far since 1988.
What is the mood around the team?
We've been working really hard for the past couple weeks. Everyone is coming together at the right time. It's just been really good.
How impressed are you with your team's success?
I'm kind of impressed. We all expected to be pretty good. In the middle of the season we lost our momentum. We found it at the right times.
What's it like with an identical twin on the same team?
Cody and I are the only big guys on the team. It's just awesome having a brother on the team, having someone to talk to about the game. We're all like brothers on the team, anyway.
Who's better looking: you or your brother?
I'm obviously better looking.
— Dave Yohe
Report card: LeClair placed fourth at the WPIAL Class AA championship and 14th in the state championship. She also helped Plum take second in Section 3 and sixth in the WPIAL. The Mustangs had not qualified for the WPIAL finals since 1995.
What was it like being at states?
I was really excited. I just wanted to go and see how I did because it was my first time. I was happy with how I did.
The team had a lot of success this year. Did you envision this?
I definitely did not, especially at the beginning of the year. We lost some seniors from last year. The season was better than I thought it would be.
What made you want to join the rifle team?
My freshman year I wanted to do something different. Some of my friends were doing it and I turned out to be good at it.
Do you play any other sports at Plum?
I've been playing softball for 10 years. I've been on the team since my freshman year.
What are you looking forward to during your senior year?
Just finally graduating high school. I also want to have a good year in rifle. I also want to have my best season in softball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty
- Loose barges on the Mon highlight woes of winter’s end
- U.S. Ambassador to South Korea stable after facial surgery for knife wounds
- Hax: Pregnant sister is off her rocker over alleged chair-breaking incident
- Seneca Valley special-needs student left on bus
- Federal judge dismisses complaint against foreclosure propery management company
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche