Gateway junior Perry finishes 12th at WPIAL finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway was one of six schools to feature two competitors at Saturday's WPIAL Class AAA diving championships at North Allegheny High School.
Junior Alison Perry dove at WPIALs for the second year in a row, while senior A.J. Denne capped her productive one-year varsity diving journey with a trip to the WPIAL championships.
When it was all said and done, Perry improved on last year's performance with a finish in 12th place with 276.80 points.
She took 18th at last year's WPIAL competition.
Perry survived the cut to 16 for the finals after the eighth dive, and she turned in three more dives before the final results were determined.
Denne made the semifinals and scored 185.50 in her eight dives for a 20th-place finish.
She beat out three other divers in the competition.
Gateway had at least two divers compete at the WPIAL championships for the fourth time in five seasons.
Although Perry was the lone Gators representative last year, Gateway graduates Kianna Hedjazi and Sarah Peterson dove together at WPIALs three years in a row from 2009 to 2011, and Brianna Gongloff joined Hedjazi and Peterson in 2009.
WPIAL history was set at Saturday's championships, as Chartiers Valley sophomore Maria Lohman became the first diver to win back-to-back gold medals in two different classifications.
She won the AA title as a freshman in 2012, and was put in position to take the AAA title after Chartiers Valley moved up in classification before the 2012-13 season.
Lohman edged out Bethel Park senior Ashley Sams by only 4.15 points in the final standings.
The top six finishers advance to the PIAA diving championships, set for March 15 at Bucknell University.
Two of Perry and Denne's section opponents during the season, Fox Chapel sophomores Miranda Simon and Emily Eames, placed fourth and sixth, respectively
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Ukraine rejects Russia’s call for cease-fire, warns of ‘great war’ against Russian aggressor
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- TED Talks event to appeal to millenials