Gateway junior Perry finishes 12th at WPIAL finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway was one of six schools to feature two competitors at Saturday's WPIAL Class AAA diving championships at North Allegheny High School.
Junior Alison Perry dove at WPIALs for the second year in a row, while senior A.J. Denne capped her productive one-year varsity diving journey with a trip to the WPIAL championships.
When it was all said and done, Perry improved on last year's performance with a finish in 12th place with 276.80 points.
She took 18th at last year's WPIAL competition.
Perry survived the cut to 16 for the finals after the eighth dive, and she turned in three more dives before the final results were determined.
Denne made the semifinals and scored 185.50 in her eight dives for a 20th-place finish.
She beat out three other divers in the competition.
Gateway had at least two divers compete at the WPIAL championships for the fourth time in five seasons.
Although Perry was the lone Gators representative last year, Gateway graduates Kianna Hedjazi and Sarah Peterson dove together at WPIALs three years in a row from 2009 to 2011, and Brianna Gongloff joined Hedjazi and Peterson in 2009.
WPIAL history was set at Saturday's championships, as Chartiers Valley sophomore Maria Lohman became the first diver to win back-to-back gold medals in two different classifications.
She won the AA title as a freshman in 2012, and was put in position to take the AAA title after Chartiers Valley moved up in classification before the 2012-13 season.
Lohman edged out Bethel Park senior Ashley Sams by only 4.15 points in the final standings.
The top six finishers advance to the PIAA diving championships, set for March 15 at Bucknell University.
Two of Perry and Denne's section opponents during the season, Fox Chapel sophomores Miranda Simon and Emily Eames, placed fourth and sixth, respectively
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ferguson protesters march on Pittsburgh streets
- Florida high school prostitution ring busted
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Oil prices continue descent, dragging market indexes lower
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- So Many Questions: Health-food diva Lizanne Falsetto says we have the power to change
- Bars bulge at the seams night before Thanksgiving
- Protest in Cleveland over 12-year-old’s shooting death chokes off traffic
- Household debt on the rise after 5-year decline
- A la carte: Turkey rescue and tips
- Daily Courier roundup: Penn State Fayette women fall to Slippery Rock