Connellsville area roundup: Penn State Fayette men's basketball team reaches title game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Brandon Cunningham scored a game-high 30 points, and David Winns notched 16 points and 18 rebounds as the 10th-seeded Penn State Fayette men's basketball team earned a berth in the title game of the USCAA Tournament with an 84-81 win over third-seeded Berkeley College in a semifinal game at Penn State Fayette on Friday.
Penn State Fayette will be playing in the USCAA title game for the first time in school history when it hosts ninth-seeded Warren Wilson College at 8:45 p.m. Saturday.
The Roaring Lions jumped out to a 9-0 lead early in the game, but Berkeley College managed to tie the game, 50-50, in the second half.
However, the Roaring Lions pieced together a 7-0 run to take the lead for good.
James Pratt scored 13 points, and Ryan Hart added 11 for the Roaring Lions (17-12).
Berkeley College 76, Penn State Fayette 66 — Kasey Ruble scored 19 points and hauled in 10 rebounds, but the eighth-seeded Roaring Lions (14-11) lost to fifth-seeded Berkeley College in a USCAA semifinal game at Penn State Fayette.
With the win, Berkeley College advances to the USCAA championship game and will play third-seeded Albany College of Pharmacy at 6 p.m. Saturday at Penn State Fayette.
Academic honors earned
Three local high school seniors were honored for their classroom performance by the Pennsylvania Football News.
Connellsville kicker Benjamin Kisiel and Mt. Pleasant offensive lineman/defensive lineman/linebacker Seth Wright were selected to the PFN's Class of 2013 Gold All-Academic team. Mt. Pleasant linebacker Eli Holt was chosen for the Bronze All-Academic team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- God is touchy topic in ICU, Pitt study finds
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pitt defense is entering new season with something to prove
- Junior class filled with potential for talent-laden Frazier football team
- Potential suspension of Pennsylvania AG’s license unusual
- Daughter’s generosity lives on in family
- Steelers trade 6th-round pick for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Trib 30 takes bigger hit than Dow in August
- Cops: Charleroi man found dead in Carroll bathroom
- Starkey: The kick returner and the grizzly bear
- Popularity of emerging markets wanes