Greensburg Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Indiana's Grant Hess, Latrobe's Monica Sowinski
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Hess was part of Indiana's 200-yard medley relay team that took first at the WPIAL Class AA swimming championships last week in 1:39.35. Hess finished fourth in the 200-yard IM (2:02.21) and was on the 200-yard freestyle relay that took fourth (1:31.27).
“For the medley, I just jumped in and had one of the best times of mine,” Hess said. “It was a really good feeling coming back and winning.”
What is your reaction to having such early success in your high school career?
I know I have a lot of years ahead of me. I definitely want to continue to win in the relay events as the years go. I also want to win in my individual events.
With the PIAA meet coming up, what do you need to do to perform well?
We want to try to do well. We need to keep training and tapering. I hope we can go there and place up there.
Claim to fame: Sowinski finished second in the 200-yard freestyle in 1:51.57 at the WPIAL Class AAA swimming championships at Pitt last week. Sowinski also finished second in the 100-yard freestyle (51.44). Sowinski was part of a 400-yard freestyle relay team that tied for second (3:30.30), and was also on the 200-yard medley relay team that finished fourth (1:47.27).
“I knew I would drop time, but I didn't think I'd do that much,” Sowinski said. “I was really pleased with how I did.”
How do you think you will do at the PIAA meet?
I think we have to keep working hard for states. If we do, our relay team will do really well. I hope to place individually.
How do you keep yourself motivated with all this success early on in your career?
I rely on my team to keep me focused on my goals. My coach (Grey Arrigonie) helps me keep my goals in mind and focused on them.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- Trooper severely injured when hit by own car
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- Couple taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes