Greensburg Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Indiana’s Grant Hess, Latrobe’s Monica Sowinski
By Andrew John
Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013, 8:15 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Claim to fame: Hess was part of Indiana's 200-yard medley relay team that took first at the WPIAL Class AA swimming championships last week in 1:39.35. Hess finished fourth in the 200-yard IM (2:02.21) and was on the 200-yard freestyle relay that took fourth (1:31.27).
“For the medley, I just jumped in and had one of the best times of mine,” Hess said. “It was a really good feeling coming back and winning.”
What is your reaction to having such early success in your high school career?
I know I have a lot of years ahead of me. I definitely want to continue to win in the relay events as the years go. I also want to win in my individual events.
With the PIAA meet coming up, what do you need to do to perform well?
We want to try to do well. We need to keep training and tapering. I hope we can go there and place up there.
Claim to fame: Sowinski finished second in the 200-yard freestyle in 1:51.57 at the WPIAL Class AAA swimming championships at Pitt last week. Sowinski also finished second in the 100-yard freestyle (51.44). Sowinski was part of a 400-yard freestyle relay team that tied for second (3:30.30), and was also on the 200-yard medley relay team that finished fourth (1:47.27).
“I knew I would drop time, but I didn't think I'd do that much,” Sowinski said. “I was really pleased with how I did.”
How do you think you will do at the PIAA meet?
I think we have to keep working hard for states. If we do, our relay team will do really well. I hope to place individually.
How do you keep yourself motivated with all this success early on in your career?
I rely on my team to keep me focused on my goals. My coach (Grey Arrigonie) helps me keep my goals in mind and focused on them.
— Andrew John
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Elizabeth Twp. gives chief administrative leave
- Lattanzi survives triple challenge in Clairton race
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Macey Dems’ choice for county
- McKeesport council incumbent holds 4-vote lead
- Krivacek cruises in Duquesne
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.