High school notebook: Riverview will not field boys tennis team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Riverside Park in Oakmont had its tennis courts resurfaced, but the sleek, new layout won't have a team to play on it this spring.
Because of a lack of participation, Riverview High School is suspending its boys team for a year.
Athletic director Bob Kariotis said a poll was taken during gym classes to gauge boys' interest in tennis. Results were positive in the beginning, but sign-ups were scarce — to the tune of two committed players.
Most who showed initial interest decided to play other sports.
The program will have to wait a year to return to a WPIAL section.
Boys teams have been chosen for the Roundball Classic all-star basketball games April 20 at Geneva College. Three local players have been selected.
St. Joseph's John Arcuri will play for the Class A team, Deer Lakes' Tim Jaczesko is on the Class AA roster, and Kittanning's Sterling Henry will suit up for Class AAA.
Class A/City League/District 10 will play Class AA at 6 p.m., with Class AAA versus Class AAAA at 8.
Girls Roundball selections will come out later in the week.
Plum senior Dylan Kondis committed to Division II Mercyhurst.
Known for a head-turning, 82-yard punt that found its way onto YouTube, Kondis will kick and punt for the Lakers.
Deer Lakes senior Ian Biernacki, a two-year starter at running back, has committed to Division III Waynesburg.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- America’s manufacturing comeback
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Critics claim state Attorney General Kane puts politics first
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster