Local roundup: Riverview beats Deer Lakes in opener
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Akron recruit Anthony Malky struck out 10 in a complete-game victory and Dom Conte had three hits as Riverview opened the season with a 3-2 nonsection victory over Deer Lakes at chilly Pullman Park in Butler.
Cole Quinio's sacrifice bunt moved Jason Anthony to third, and Anthony scored the game-winning run after Jake Paradise's groundout in the sixth for the Raiders (1-0).
Malky added two hits and an RBI in the win.
Todd Coleman went 2 for 3, including a two-run single, for Deer Lakes (1-1).
Deer Lakes 3, Fo rd City 0 — Don Szoszorek had 18 kills and Kody Buttyan added 12 to lead the Lancers (1-0) to a Section 2-AA victory over Ford City (0-1).
The Lancers won all three matches, 25-7.
Zach Guiciardi added 37 assists.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pakistani premier may be forced out as protests turn violent
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade