Daily Courier roundup: Southmoreland softball wins opener
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Anna Marie Gatti pitched a complete game and struck out 12 for Southmoreland (1-0, 1-0), as the Scotties earned a 4-2 victory over Belle Vernon in Section 3-AAA play Tuesday. Kelsey Kuhns was 3 for 3 with a double, triple, RBI and a run scored for Southmoreland.
Frazier 8, Jefferson-Morgan 4 — Alexis Livingston had a double, and Andrea Lash picked up a Section 2-A win for Frazier (2-0, 1-0). Jefferson-Morgan dropped to 1-1 overall and 0-1 in section play.
Mt. Pleasant 8, Uniontown 4 — Mt. Pleasant (2-0, 1-0) won in Section 4-AAA behind home runs from Jocelyn Gula and Paige Hertzog. The loss drops Uniontown to 0-2 overall and in section play.
Southmoreland 16, Geibel 1 — Doug Leighty picked up the win and also chipped in with three hits and three RBI to lead Southmoreland (2-1) to a nonsection win. Justin Kubicek had three hits and two RBI for Southmoreland, while Geibel fell to 0-1.
Mt. Pleasant 3, McGuffey 2 — Alex Temple won his singles match, 6-2, 6-2, and Hunter Rinaldi was victorious, 6-1, 6-3, as Mt. Pleasant (1-1) won in Section 1-AA. Brandon Harclerade and Jacob Trout were victorious in their doubles match for Mt. Pleasant, 6-2, 6-2.
Norwin 4, Connellsville 1 — John Herseko won his singles match against Nick Morgart, 6-1, 6-2, but Connellsville (0-4) fell in Section 1-AAA. Tyrell Greenwood and Nate Alford were each victorious in their singles matches for the Knights (1-2).
Southmoreland 5, Brownsville 0 — Tyler Fox, Kevin Bundrige and Luke Zeleznik each won their singles matches as Southmoreland improved to 6-0 overall this season and 3-0 in Section 1-AA.
Penn State-Greater Allegheny 6, Penn State-Fayette 0 — Zach Krivda struck out 11 in seven innings of work to lead Penn State-Greater Allegheny to a win at Consol Energy Park. Serra Catholic graduate Oliver Girman had two RBI and Aaron McGee went 2 for 3 with two runs scored.
Penn State-Greater Allegheny 13, Penn State-Fayette 3 — First baseman Sam Weightman went 2 for 3 with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored to lead Penn State-Greater Allegheny to a five-inning win. Shortstop Aaron McGee added two RBI as well.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Motorcycle runs off road in Butler County, kills Shaler man
- Suspended Penn-Trafford teacher charged with stalking student
- Route 22 accident in Monroeville causes traffic jam
- Crash closes one lane of westbound I-376 in Beaver County
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Carjacked vehicle hits Philly crowd, kills 2 children
- Small plane goes down near Grove City
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End